Segregation

cagedfalcon

cagedfalcon

Picked this up today. Looks like it could be in original frame but has a new cardboard backing.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think these are fantasy items. I don't believe there was a "DEPT. OF THE ARMY" until after 1947 or 1948. There was a War Department and a Navy Department until the Defense Department was created. By then Truman had desegregated the Armed Forces. This from my memory which, of course, could be faulty.

I think these are fantasy items. I don't believe there was a "DEPT. OF THE ARMY" until after 1947 or 1948. There was a War Department and a Navy Department until the Defense Department was created. By then Truman had desegregated the Armed Forces. This from my memory which, of course, could be faulty.

Yes, there is a Department of the Army along with Navy and Air Force. Part of the Department of Defense created in 1947.

Ray

Yes, that's the gist of my post. The Department of the Army did not exist until the Department of Defense came into being.

Desegregation of the Armed Forces took place on July 26, 1948 under Executive Order 9981.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9981

The Department of Defense, with the subsequent creation of the Department of the Army was created in September 18, 1947.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_the_Army

It's possible this form existed. There are several of them on the internet, with some apparent reproductions on metal.

There is also a version for EM Enlisted Men.

The size of it bothers me... it is not very big. In theory it would hang over two different entry ways. You would think this would be bigger.

It's also odd that this would be a standardized form. That would imply that it was used in a wide number of places.

It would be interesting if it showed up in a photo being used at the time.

cagedfalcon

The size of it bothers me... it is not very big.  In theory it would hang over two different entry ways.  You would think this would be bigger.

I believe it would be placed 'between' doorways not 'over' two doorways

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk