Slip-On Combat Suspender Pads?

wfd908

I believe that they were made for use with the plywood pack board. But they could be used with any suspenders.

You hit the nail on the head! I was in a surplus store a couple years back and they had a box of these, unissued. I bought me a set there for just a couple dollars.

Andrew

thumbsup.gif

it is for the packboard...sometimes marines in early nam used those with M41 suspenders bc they were too narrow and digging practicaly you can also use them with any kind of WWII combat suspenders but i dont think that ever done by troops other than airborne-the airborne had to carry heavy loads & used improvised felt pads bc these factory pads were late war items & not available yet in 1943-44...personaly i have'nt seen a picture of the pads in WWII & there is the posibility that these never used in WWII in logical numbers if ever

El Bibliotecario

The stuff one learns on the internet...I've had a pair of these in my junk for over four decades and never knew they were for a packboard. A friend insisted they were shoulderboards for a Martian Field Marshall.

The stuff one learns on the internet...I've had a pair of these in my junk for over four decades and never knew they were for a packboard. A friend insisted they were shoulderboards for a Martian Field Marshall.

HAHAHA! :lol: . In Henry Enjames books, they are identified as such.

Andrew

craig_pickrall

Justin, do you have any pics you can post of the Marines using the shoulder pads?

HAHAHA! :lol: . In Henry Enjames books, they are identified as such.

Andrew

Oops, wrong wording. They are identified as what they have been called earlier, packboard pads.

Andrew

:lol:

I didnt get that one from the net :). I remembered seeing that image in the 1966 video "Marines 66" and took a picture of it while I played it on my computer.

I didnt look too hard but I couldnt find any pictures of the pads on the net either. Its hard because the marines packs and flak vests cover most of their web gear.

you can see some few marines in the early period wearing Army M1945 cargo & combat pack suspenders stolen from PRC-10 carrying harness but it was'nt common...the packboard pads on M41 suspenders was much more common...at about mid to late 1967 to early 1968 you can see the first marines with army M56 H-suspenders...after mid to late 1968 its becoming almost impossible to see M41 suspenders in nam as discarded as extremely uncomfortable in favour of the M56 army model...in the battle of hue the majority of the marines were not using any suspenders...!!! the use of some few M56s & even fewer M41s was a rare spot...also in hue you can see Army M56 ammo pouches alongside the M61s & mix of M1910 & M1956 canteen covers some times even to the same belt but allways with plastic canteens...the junle 1st aid pouch the 3 pocket grenade carrier & the M17 GASMASK BAG was the rule as was the extensive use of cotton bandoliers...lots of those...many marines also wore paratroopers M1C helmet liners!!! many marines spoted wearing army M52 & M69 FLAK VESTS!!!...quite an uncommon thing...