A Tough 'Ombre Field Artillery Captain

Allan H.

This is another blouse from my working at Manion's days and, if I recall correctly, was another piece that was flushed out of the woodwork by the amazing picker Hugh S., who scoured the eastern seaboard for good militaria.

This blouse was worn by a captain of the 915th Field Artillery Battalion of the 90th "Touch 'Ombres" Infantry Division in WWII. I believe that the blouse was worn by Captain Wilmer T. Beck, who, through tenacious energy and guts, was awarded two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star and the Purple Heart medal. Captain Beck served as a liaison officer in Normandy, where he called for fire in support of the 359th Infantry Regiment.

post-151-0-37730700-1561328565.jpg

post-151-0-61194800-1561328666.jpg

Here is a detailed photo of the ribbons and collar brass on then blouse.

From the Military TImes Hall of Valor-

Silver Star
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War II
Service: Army
Battalion: 915th Field Artillery Battalion
Division: 90th Infantry Division
GENERAL ORDERS:
Headquarters, 90th Infantry Division, General Orders No. 28 (July 24, 1944)
CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to First Lieutenant (Field Artillery) Wilmer T. Beck (ASN: 0-1175036), United States Army, for gallantry in action in northern France while serving with the 915th Field Artillery Battalion, 90th Infantry Division. During a counterattack on 6 July 1914, all communication lines with supporting artillery were blown out. Lieutenant Beck, Artillery Liaison Officer, on his own initiative and without regard for his personal safety, went alone through several hundred yards of intense artillery and mortar fire to find the breaks and to repair them. He then returned through the same fire and successfully directed his artillery to help break up four more successive counterattacks by infantry and tanks. His meritorious conduct was largely responsible for the battalion's ability to hold its ground.

post-151-0-49668000-1561329824.jpg

Here is the citation to Beck's oakleaf cluster to the Silver Star. It is amazing that Beck would earn two of them over the course of a few days.

Silver Star
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War II
Service: Army
Battalion: 915th Field Artillery Battalion
Division: 90th Infantry Division
GENERAL ORDERS:
Headquarters, 90th Infantry Division, General Orders No. 178 (December 6, 1944)
CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Second Award of the Silver Star to Captain (Field Artillery) Wilmer T. Beck (ASN: 0-1175036), United States Army, for gallantry in action against an armed enemy while serving with the 915th Field Artillery Battalion, 90th Infantry Division, in France, on 10 July 1944.

Beck's right cuff sports a Meritorious Unit Commendation. For some reason, units of the 90th Division ended up with an amazing total of MUCs rather than a single award of a Presidential Unit Citation. I have always assumed that someone at 90th Division HQ didn't have a good understanding of the difference between the two awards.

The blouse is 1942 dated and has the accompanying matching belt with an OD plastic belt buckle. I've alwys found this style of blouse to be rather interesting. I assume that they got a plastic buckle so that they could conserve brass for other necessities.

I hope you enjoy seeing this blouse as much as I have enjoyed sharing it with you. I just wish that I could find a good period photo of this amazing warrior.

Allan

post-151-0-06474600-1561330356.jpg

Brian Dentino

Another real beauty from your personal museum Allan! Great uniform to a very decorated officer. Thanks for sharing the good Capt's story with us.

• 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of Stan the Man! Three epic uniforms in a row! Please don't stop posting!

Tomas, I sure hope that you are keeping your head down in the 'stan so that you can come back home and enjoy seeing "Stan the Man" again. For those of you wondering what we are talking about, search the forum for "Stanley Maynard." It is good reading.

Allan

mysteriousoozlefinch

There's a good book, available online at the 90th Infantry Division Association site, titled "Upstarts" by Robert E. Moore of the 915th FA that covers the men and unit pretty well.