One of a kind M1910 Cartridge Belt

I wanted to share this one of a kind belt with those interested in web field gear. The story started about two years ago when a fellow collector brought this belt over to my house for show and tell. I was very interested by it's construction. It is of heavy Pea Green canvas, rimless eagle buttons and sewn construction. It was a real head scratcher. to add, it was also marked to a Quartermaster Motor Repair Battalion. I did some research and the best I could come up with was that in early 1915, Rock Island made up 100 belts out of canvas for trial with troops on the Border. They were made to test the folded canvas construction that would allow companies other than Mills to make belts for the US Army. These belts though were also used to test pocket snaps. One side was constructed with Mills snaps and the other side had either Carr fasteners or Carr "lift the dot" fasteners. This belt had all Mills fasteners, but I figured, maybe the fasteners were replaced at some point. Still for me, this would have been a very rare belt to have. I also did some back round on "Co A, 3rd M R Bn. QMC. The 3rd Motor Repair Battalion, Quartermaster Corps wasn't activated until 1921. This belts very clean state would be explained by the general lack of use it would have gotten in a QMC unit. But I was still puzzled as to how it would have made it all the way to 1921 or possibly later in such good condition given that it was supposed to be trialed by active troops in 1915.

There the story sat until I pestered my friend to sell me the belt and he relented. When I brought the belt home again, I was showing it to another friend and explaining to him what I thought of this belt. While sitting there I noticed some writing on the back of the belt that had slipped my notice earlier. I was really just some faded numbers and a couple of letters. But in the right light I could read

25301g

Enc 1

I recognized the way it was written from my research in the Ordnance records at the National Archives. 25301 is the file number for Rock Island Arsenal. Which would make 5222 the letter number and Enc 1, would be Enclosure #1. I started tearing through all the scans and photos I had taken at the Archives and found what I was looking for, a letter from Rock Island Arsenal describing this belt exactly and at the bottom of the letter it reads Enc 1 (Belt)

At this point I can only guess that after WWI lots of things were being cleared out and this sample was deemed serviceable enough to be issued to troops. Luckily it went to a QM unit where to got very little use until it was probably cleared out inventory with all the rest of the belts that didn't have "lift the dot" fasteners.

post-6161-0-31237000-1561322397_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-28009200-1561322406_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-83697900-1561322483_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-90366300-1561322490_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-92703400-1561322496_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-16556300-1561322505_thumb.jpg

Now that is just one heavy-duty score you made there :blink: Thanks for sharing that screamer!!

US Victory Museum

Jon:

A significant and historical find. Your ability to access the records places this artifact in

its historical context. It was, as you noted, very fortuitous that the belt was assigned to a

motor repair batt. of the QMC, otherwise it would have likely seen harsh use and have

been 'consumed' via attrition, like much of the early accouterments from this era.

I love it.

Msn

Is it in Dorsey’s books? Have to find mine whatever box they’re in, lol. Rare piece and super condition.

Hello All,

It was suggested that I move this post and update the photos with better quality images. So here is the new and improved version. There are a couple of small textual changes as well.

I wanted to share this one of a kind belt with those interested in web field gear. The story started about two years ago when a fellow collector brought this belt over to my house for show and tell. I was very interested by it's construction. It is of heavy Pea Green canvas, rimless eagle buttons and sewn construction. It was a real head scratcher. to add, it was also marked to a Quartermaster Motor Repair Battalion. I did some research and the best I could come up with was that in early 1915, Rock Island made up 100 belts out of canvas for trial with troops on the Border. They were made to test the folded canvas construction that would allow companies other than Mills to make belts for the US Army. These belts though were also used to test pocket snaps. One side was constructed with Mills snaps and the other side had either Carr fasteners or Carr "lift the dot" fasteners. This belt had all Mills fasteners, but I figured, maybe the fasteners were replaced at some point. Still for me, this would have been a very rare belt to have. I also did some back round on "Co A, 3rd M R Bn. QMC. The 3rd Motor Repair Battalion, Quartermaster Corps wasn't activated until 1921. This belts very clean state would be explained by the general lack of use it would have gotten in a QMC unit. But I was still puzzled as to how it would have made it all the way to 1921 or possibly later in such good condition given that it was supposed to be trialed by active troops in 1915.

There the story sat until I pestered my friend to sell me the belt and he relented. When I brought the belt home again, I was showing it to another friend and explaining to him what I thought of this belt. While sitting there I noticed some writing on the back of the belt that had slipped my notice earlier. I was really just some faded numbers and a couple of letters. But in the right light I could read

25301g

Incl. 1

I recognized the way it was written from my research in the Ordnance records at the National Archives. 25301 is the file number for Rock Island Arsenal. Which would make 5222 the letter number and Incl 1, would be Inclosure #1. I started tearing through all the scans and photos I had taken at the Archives and found what I was looking for, a letter from Rock Island Arsenal describing this belt exactly and at the bottom of the letter it reads Incl. 1 (Belt)

At this point I can only guess that after WWI lots of things were being cleared out and this sample was deemed serviceable enough to be issued to troops. Luckily it went to a QM unit where to got very little use until it was probably cleared out inventory with all the rest of the belts that didn't have "lift the dot" fasteners.

post-6161-0-95530200-1561733242_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-52491600-1561733255_thumb.jpg

That is some top-shelf research. You should be proud of taking the time to study, think about, and subsequently make the connections. That's what a true historian does.

John

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...