M1905 hatchet cover

robinb

Found today at the Portland, Oregon, military show. RIA 1910 marked on the tip of the leather strap. This is the first that I have seen, I was starting to think they never made them.

MVC-030S.JPG

MVC-031S.JPG

MVC-032S.JPG

Browninggunner688

Superb cover, I have the shovel cover that was converted to the later pattern with the M-1910 hook. You can see where the original fittings were on it.

Love axe covers, not lucky enough to find one of these though, thanks for posting.

Nick.

US Victory Museum

Very nice. Exceptionally uncommon, or dare I say it... rare!

This is the first one I have ever seen in modern color photos,

and outside a turn-of-the-century publication in a library.

It's a thing of beauty!

post-1529-0-62182800-1561343782_thumb.jpg

I was just telling a friend today that my one item I with been looking for is this exact hatch cover.

Great to see that they do exist outside the books.

Saw one of them as well as a pick mattock carrier with the early M1905 hangers at the Militaria show in Cleburn Texas two years ago. I will say they wanted a LOT of money for them both and neither one was anywhere near as nice as yours!

• 2 years later...

I own one of these rare carriers.  I shared it with Jerry Lee at What Price Glory and he used it to make his reproduction.  I have have one of the reproductions and it is spot on other than the leather which is good, but not russet.  The price is great until a real one comes.  It really meets my criteria for buying reproduction items.  It's 1/10 of the price of an original if you can find one.  

• 5 weeks later...

I have the pick cover & shovel carrier w/picket-pin handle of this pattern.  Can provide photos if interested.  (robinb?)

illinigander