Good or Bad WW2 Bomb Wings?

skio

Hello all,I picked up two bomb wings recently and after scrolling through the Fake/Repo topic became a little concerned on them.Any advice,good or bad,if they are authentic or not would really be great.First wing is an NS Meyer sterling wing full size.Hallmarks are raised but the location on the wing shoulders has me wondering.Pin opens to about a 45 degree angle.

Second wing is full size just marked sterling in raised letter and what looks like a replaced pin.Pictures will follow in order if I don't screw it up.

Steve

post-5041-1230426690.jpg

post-5041-1230426773.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Hi Steve,

I really like the second wing; very attractive. Personally, I never have liked the look of Meyer wings, that shoulder...I just can't get past that.

Hi Steve,

I really like the second wing; very attractive. Personally, I never have liked the look of Meyer wings, that shoulder...I just can't get past that.

I hear ya. It reminds me of the man eating plant from the movie Little Shop of Horrors!

IMPERIAL QUEST
I hear ya. It reminds me of the man eating plant from the movie Little Shop of Horrors!

Yea, for the longest time, I tried to figure out what it reminded me of...then I talked to a friend here. He referred to it as a pelican bill.... w00t.gif That's it...now that is all I see when I look at the wings. :lol:

Yea, for the longest time, I tried to figure out what it reminded me of...then I talked to a friend here. He referred to it as a pelican bill.... w00t.gif That's it...now that is all I see when I look at the wings. :lol:

Both wings are good, IMHO. The NS Meyer's pattern is indeed frequently referred to as the pelican beak pattern. That pattern (and variations based on it) all seem to be from the WWII to post KW period. The other wing is what is frequently called the Bell wing. It is never hallmarked, but has been traced to the Bell Trading Company (IIRC). Careful examination of the feathers on the wings will show fine lines and striations. I have always felt that this is a very finely made pattern of wings. You find the bombardier and gunner wings in both 2 piece (with the center bit added) and in one piece versions.

Both are nice wings, and look to have actually been worn.

Patrick