Award Cards for Silver Star and Purple Heart WWII John B. Goodman

gijoeonthego

gijoeonthego

Can someone close to the National Archives verify WWII John B. Goodman, 39310692, Tech 4, 101st Airborne 506 PIR, has Award Cards? Thank you in advance.

Can someone close to the National Archives verify WWII John B. Goodman, 39310692, Tech 4, 101st Airborne 506 PIR, has Award Cards? Thank you in advance.

Have you tried requesting his records from the archives using a SF180?

Silver Star was awarded under General Order 30 of 1944 - 101st Airborne Division - You will need this to get the citation

Bill

gijoeonthego

Bill...I have seen that. I was hoping someone could actually see the award card with first hand experience. Yes, they're researchers out there for a fee I thought if anyone was going there themselves, they can do a quick check.

It's really not a quick process which is why people charge for it. There are a couple members here who do regularly visit NPRC, but they also charge for their time. If you do a search on the forum you might find one of them. In my experience, its pretty quick and easy to just pay the $10-12 fee researchers charge.

There wouldnt be WWII Army Award Cards for this veteran because he is not AAF. The WWII award cards only have AAF awards.

Kurt

101st Abn HQ GO #30, 30 Aug 1944 has him awarded SSM with boiler plate citation “for gallantry in action against the enemy in Normandy, France.”

Wiegand’s 101st Abn GO index has him listed as KIA.

Wiegand 506th PIR GO index has him receiving CIB in GO#12, 1944. And that he was service company/506th.

He is also listed in Pulles 506 index with a date “44-06-00” which means June 1944. It appears that Pulles lists that as KIA or DOW date. But I haven’t done any other checking on his death date. You should be able to find that pretty easily.

Hope this helps, JimB

PM if you'd like a photo of GO30 with the boilerplate citation noted above; fairly standard for 101 A/B GOs in 1944. .