USMC Korean War Vet

Sand Flea

I recently acquired this group from an auction house on a whim. The price was right and I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. My tablet is having issues transferring the photos from my phone.The clothing bag and ties are named to a Sgt. L. P. Perry. The clothing bag was attacked by moths and has seen better days. The two complete alpha uniforms, one Eisenhower and the other, a standard 4 pocket are complete with shirts, ties, and trousers. These are all in very good condition. The cover could use a little cleaning but is in otherwise in good condition. None of the medals or shooting badges are named and they appear to be period correct. I do not know anything about this Marine but he appeared to have joined prior to the conclusion of the WW 2 based on his medals. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy,

post-161646-0-79221300-1561182371_thumb.jpegpost-161646-0-77045300-1561182381.jpegpost-161646-0-70940200-1561182390.jpeg

Leo P H Perry, SN# 1136755. He was a private or PFC in January 1951, got into trouble and was in confinement that year, released to Marine guards at Philadelphia. Seems that he straightened up, because by July 1958 he was a Staff Sergeant. Timeline and rank seems to support this identification with the insignia/ribbons and IS in your seabags.

Leo served with the 1st Marine Air Wing in Korea...most of his Marine Corps service seems to have been with Marine aviation

I forgot to add that this lot came from an estate in San Diego per the auction house. Thank you all for information sent on this Marine. I think this one warrants addition research.

Thank you again Geoff for the information. Now the fun part begins. Did his service records mention how he was awarded the Naval Occupation Medal? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Hi Sand Flea, that's the one medal that is problematic with Leo P H Perry's identification. Sailors and Marines were eligible for the Navy Occupation Medal with Asia bar for service in Korea until 1954, but if they were awarded the Korean Service Medal for wartime service in the Korean War they were supposedly ineligible for the occupation medal. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though.