Guadalcanal Solomon Islands Silk Survival Pilot's Map

johnny12550

While I have Drift Charts out, here is another interesting item. It is printed on the same rayon acetate material as the charts. Hopefully some of you can give me a bit of insight on it.

post-177224-0-69168800-1561486731_thumb.jpg

This panel chart was part of the result of joint Army/Navy rescue efforts. The Navy had then adopted this series of emergency signal panels making it universal to all services. This is a US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics item where several hundred thousand were procured in October 1944 for inlcusion in all emergency equipment i.e. life rafts, back pad kits and other assemblies. It was then entered into the standard supply system were it can be requisitioned. Paper versions of the sheet were also reproduced at overseas stations. Potentially this or the paper versions were used by the USAAF but they had adopted this system in late 1942 and included these diagrams in all their literature included in emergency equipment like in all the "Emergencies" booklets printed in 1943 then into the survival manual 21W so the inclusion of this sheet would had been redundant.