Sherman “Cobra King”

West-Front

DwightPruitt
Grafenwoehr, always a sunny place...

Graf was the only place where you could have mud up to your knees, snow up to your waist and dust hitting you in the face. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Fiddler's Green

Here are some links to videos I captured on a visit to Cobra King.

• 11 months later...
Fiddler's Green

Do have a look at the link provided, the site gives information, and pictures of the work being done.

So far, CK has been finish painted and once all of the sub assemblies are painted, it will be put on a dolly so that the suspension components may be reinstalled. then on from there until completion.

The goal is not to completely restore CK to functional status, only to show it external appearance as it was in Bastogne, and the interior as it was after being knocked out, with the resultant fire damage.

• 2 months later...

I saw this tank last month when I was TDY to Ft Knox. It was really cool to be able to touch the name and realize it was the same tank in the photo taken at Bastogne. I didn't get to see inside but they didn't do any restoration on the inside. The director said it is a candidate for restoration to operational status but they weren't doing that right now.

Sorry if I am duplicating this link! It has a lot of step by step pics and descriptions of Cobra Kings disassembly and restoration. Made by one of those doing it!

Cobra King