Sherman “Cobra King”

West-Front

http://www.stripes.com:80/article.asp?sect...p;article=59651

Vilseck tank confirmed as ‘Cobra King’

By Jennifer H. Svan, Stars and Stripes

European edition, Saturday, December 27, 2008

A World War II-era M4 Sherman tank on display at Rose Barracks in Vilseck, Germany has been confirmed to be the “Cobra King,” the first tank to reach besieged American troops defending Bastogne from the Germans’ counterattack during the Battle of the Bulge.

U.S. Army Europe officials announced the discovery Friday in a news release timed to coincide with the Dec. 26, 1944, anniversary of the Company C, 37th Tank Battalion’s famous arrival in Bastogne.

The tank was identified by matching serial and registration numbers, a project worked jointly by historians with U.S. Army Europe and the U.S. Army’s Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor in Ft. Knox, Ky.

Officially designated as an M4A3E2 Assault Tank, the Sherman “Jumbo” was built in mid-1944 at the Detroit Tank Arsenal. Only 254 of the tanks were built. Because of the short run, and because they were on a built-up hull, all 254 tanks were issued serial numbers in sequential order, according to Army officials.

When U.S. Army registration numbers were assigned to the vehicles, they too were issued in sequential order, allowing historians to confirm a direct match with the two sets of numbers, according to the Army release.

Some photographs of the antiquated tank can be found online.

In what appears to be an old black and white photo from World War II posted on the photo-sharing Web site Flickr, the tank is marked with large letters “First in Bastogne,” under which the smaller words “Cobra King” are legible.

The five men in the photo aren’t identified.

According to the Army’s release, “Cobra King” was under the command of 1st Lt. Charles P. Boggess, commander of Company C, 37th Tank Battalion.

Other crew members were Pvt. Hubert S. Smith, driver; Cpl. Milton Dickerman, gunner; Pvt. Harold Hafner, bow machine gunner; and loader Pvt. James G. Murphy.

“We have not yet determined if any of these men still survive …” Army officials said in the release.

Army historians recognize the “Cobra King” as a significant piece of World War II history for its role in the Battle of the Bugle, the powerful German counterattack in December 1944 in Belgium’s Ardennes forest. In a last-ditch effort, Hitler unsuccessfully tried to divide Allied forces in an attempt to bring about a negotiated peace in Germany’s favor.

In his 1946 narrative “Bastogne: The First Eight Days,” then-Col. S.L.A. Marshall wrote: “ …at 1650 First Lieutenant Charles P. Boggess, commanding officer of Company C, 37th Tank Battalion, drove the first vehicle from the 4th Armored Division to within the lines of the 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion, 101st Division, of the Bastogne forces. This was the beginning. The German encirclement was now finally broken, though some days would pass before the American lines to the south were again firm and several weeks of fighting would ensue before the siege of Bastogne was finally lifted.”

The tank is expected to go on display at the National Museum of the U.S. Army, scheduled to open in 2013 outside of Washington, D.C.

There are a number of display vehicles at posts all over Germany. Unfortunately at least when I was there you found very few plaques or other explanation of why a particular vehicle was selected for display. Hopefully we will see more of this kind of research.

the funny thing is that I have passed that tank abourt a dozen times and never even knew.,.um however cause that thing sits ON the base by the main gate, I do not think that there will be too many photos poping up of how it looks today. ( unless the Army gives the Ok.)

Found this online:

Dawn of December 26, 1944, right after a cold Christmas, our unit was only three miles from Bastogne …

… I mounted my CO’s personal tank (Lt Col Creighton W. ABRAMS Jr) for a very ‘special’ mission ! It had been decided that a special team, mainly consisting of C Company, 37th Tank Battalion, under temporary command of its XO, Capt William A. DWIGHT (S-3) would take a secondary road, leading from Clochimont thru Assenois to Bastogne, in order to break the siege of that town and to contact the surrounded American defenders . This kind of surprise attack was to take place in enemy-held territory ! Acting as point vehicle, I would lead with ‘Cobra King’ (mount of Lt Col C.W. Abrams) followed by another 7 tanks, half-tracks, and some other extra vehicles . My personal crew consisted of Pvt Hubert SMITH (driver) – Cpl Milton DICKERMAN (gunner) – Pvt Harold HAFNER (bow gunner) – Pvt James G. MURPHY (loader), and myself as commander, we were all battle veterans … We moved full speed, firing straight ahead, with the other tanks firing left and right . We weren’t supposed to stop on the way either . As soon as we cleared the first little town, I called for artillery support (4 artillery battalions were available) on Assenois, that is, ahead of the convoy – our column entered the place still under friendly fire, such was our speed and progress ! After clearing Assenois, we ran into more enemy resistance, and mopping up was required with help of our half-trackborne C Company, 53d Armored Infantry Battalion . We then came across a large pillbox, which we at once destroyed . There certainly was a lot of confusion, since the Germans hadn’t expected us to break thru via this secondary road, nevertheless enemy fire was considerable, and we lost 4 Shermans on the way .

As my tank cleared the following woods, we came upon an open field with colored canopies (from previous supply drops), I reckoned we were now approaching friendly lines . Our column subsequently slowed down, on the look out for friendlies, and we seemed to recognize a number of foxholes with helmeted figures . Taking no chances, I called out to them, shouting to come out to us, indicating we were part of the 4th Armored Division ! After several calls, an officer emerged with a smile, and said; “I’m Lt. Webster, 326th Airborne Engineers, glad to see you guys !” It was 1650, December 26, the 4th Armored Division, had broken thru enemy lines, and reached its objective - the siege of Bastogne was over … although the fighting wasn’t yet …

(Charles P. BOGGESS, 1st Lt, C Co, 37th Tk Bn, 4th Armd Div)

- I did a little more Googling and came up with the following.

- I could not find anything on Hubert S. Smith.

- All I could find about James G. Murphy is that he was from Bryan, Texas.

- Harold Hafner was from Arlington, Washington...and there is a Harold Hafner still listed there!

Harold Hafner (360) 435-7064 625 S Stillaguamish Ave, Arlington, WA 98223

Also found several other Harold Hafner's:

Name, Age, City, State

hafner, harold 95 Orinda, CA

hafner, harold 89 Largo, FL

Zephyrhills, FL

Hendersonville, NC

West Palm Beach, FL

hafner, harold 82 Orange, CT

Raymond, ME

Standish, ME

- Milton B. Dickerman was from Newark, NJ. I think this may be him:

Name - MILTON B DICKERMAN

Birth - 19 Jan 1918

Death - 27 Aug 1997 (V)

Last Residence - 17110 (Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA)

Last Benefit - (none specified)

SSN - 085-07-1672

Issued - New York

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
the funny thing is that I have passed that tank abourt a dozen times and never even knew.,.um however cause that thing sits ON the base by the main gate, I do not think that there will be too many photos poping up of how it looks today. ( unless the Army gives the Ok.)

I read in a Military History magazine about that tank, and it had a picture of it on "Gate Guard". I think it has a HV 76 with a muzzle brake on it now, but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find it. The picture here has the medium velocicity 75 gun that was standard on Shermans.

Yea, the Dec 2009 issue of "America in WW II" has a picture of it on page 45.

It has the same serial number on the hull as above, but is repainted in a different place. So is "US ARMY". The picture in the Magazine shows it with that the same turret, but long 76 mm HV with a round Muzzle Brake, like I though. I guess it got that at a later overhaul, since by the end of WW II it was pretty much established that that old WW I era Meduin velocity 75 just wasn't worth the tradeoff that you got by having it's slightly better HE and Smoke round, but crappy AP.

Maybe it's dumb luck that tank was saved as a gate Guard, but I like to think it's celebrity was remembered for a while at least, and somebody made the decision that that specific tank would end up there. It is possible somebody as sentimental, and it was remembered even then.

• 3 weeks later...
Fiddler's Green

Cobra King was a monument on my unit's parade field. I'm surprised it took so long to get it back home.

Fiddler's Green

Here is a pic of Cobra King out side of our Barracks 3/37th armored at Ferris Barracks Erlangen Germany It looks fine on the outside, but is rusty and scorched inside, and missing its enginepost-10481-1268421588.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Colt Tanker

The Patton Museum Director told me last summer (2009) that they have a correct 75mm gun on another Sherman & are going to swap it out with the 76mm gun currently on the Cobrs King and restore it back to its original WW2 configuration. Can't wait to see it finished.

Dirk

Cobrahistorian

I just met with BG (ret) Creighton Abrams, Jr. last week. Cobra King is going to be in the new National Museum of the US Army when it opens in 2013. I've got the plans for the new museum and it is going to be the centerpiece of the WWII gallery. Pretty cool stuff.

Jon

Im glad to hear Cobra King is being saved!! I remember all of the WW2 vehicles still on US bases rotting away behind buildings and such. We used to fly around an land at alot of bases and saw alot of vehicles. One place in particular was Babenhausen parked behind a building had 3 halftracks, 2 M8 greyhound armored cars, an M-5 Stuart and a Sherman. This was around 2005-2006. Wish I knew what happened to them before it was turned back over to the Germans???

Brandon

Fiddler's Green
Im glad to hear Cobra King is being saved!! I remember all of the WW2 vehicles still on US bases rotting away behind buildings and such. We used to fly around an land at alot of bases and saw alot of vehicles. One place in particular was Babenhausen parked behind a building had 3 halftracks, 2 M8 greyhound armored cars, an M-5 Stuart and a Sherman. This was around 2005-2006. Wish I knew what happened to them before it was turned back over to the Germans???

Brandon

As far as I've heard, is that anything in place at a closing Post was moved to one not being closed. Cobra King ended up at Vilsek, so maybe the others have as well. There would be little difficulty selling them into the collector market if that is possible.