1942, 16" PAL M1 bayonet questions.

Keith

I have this bayonet, 16" made by PAL with the 1942 date on the blade. I have two questions about its originality:

1. It has nice looking wood grips on it. Photos of similar bayos on EBay all have plastic grips. Is the wood bubba replacement or military installed during a modification or ?

2. It is in a USN MK 1 scabbard. Is that appropriate?

Thanks

Keith- The M1905 bayonets produced in WW2 came with plastic grips. Do the wooden grips appear original, or homemade? Have seen early grips on the WW2 bayonets, but that is not how they were produced. The USN M1 scabbards were originally made for USN plastic M1905 training bayonets, but a whole lot ended up with the original M1905s. They are well made, and it makes sense to use what fits, and works, why waste a functional scabbard just because they were made for trainers. I have a WW2 M1905 in a USN scabbard. SKIP

Keith- The M1905 bayonets produced in WW2 came with plastic grips. Do the wooden grips appear original, or homemade? Have seen early grips on the WW2 bayonets, but that is not how they were produced. The USN M1 scabbards were originally made for USN plastic M1905 training bayonets, but a whole lot ended up with the original M1905s. They are well made, and it makes sense to use what fits, and works, why waste a functional scabbard just because they were made for trainers. I have a WW2 M1905 in a USN scabbard. SKIP

Thanks SKIP. I will get some photos of the grip. keith

Looking at the grip while photoing it I have doubts. On the head side of the retaining screw there are scrapes around the wood hole and on the nut side there are file marks where the screw was smoothed out. I guess the question would still be who did it? Also, if consensus is the wood is not military installed should I look for a pair of plastic to put on it? Thanks again to the forum for all the help they (you guys) provide. keith

pala.jpg

palb.jpg

Keith- I believe these are reproduction grips used on the Chinese M1905 bayonets being imported. Instead of paying some ridiculous price for grips, just pick up one of those ground down Korean import M1 bayonets, trade out the grips. Might be cheaper in the end. SKIP

I just posted in the classifieds wanting to trade item/s from my website (www.ourboysof98.com) for the grips I need. Thanks all.

Those are the same grips as found on Indian-made M1905 bayonets sold by IMA and Atlanta Cutlery, which are made by Windlass Steelcrafts. For some reason, it was thought by them that the tool marks left by the wood shaping machinery were supposed to be deep square-cut grooves.