2 Panel Corpsman Helmet - Opinions?

Nickman983

An earlier post compares rust bleed through and suggested post 13 as an example of this, so I checked it out and there is red paint on the rust.

It had to be painted after it rusted.

Please help me reconcile this because I’m not experienced enough to make a call.

Where are you seeing the rust under the red?

I believe what Pat was referring to was the left side of that picture where it looks like rust coming up through the white.

The part of the helmet that is pictured is right on the edge where white roundel was marked with a pencil before having the cross painted. too much pressure was applied in that area and it left a mark in an indent in the white and over time that area chipped.

Here's a view further out of the area I'm referring to as well as a (hopefully) better picture of the area in question

Additionally, here's the full sized images https://imgur.com/a/cq1yH1r

post-169952-0-25534500-1561428204.jpg

post-169952-0-20203200-1561428242.jpg

There is red paint on the rust.

That’s what I said.

Sorry I wasn’t clear enough

I understood what you were saying. I'm still not seeing where there is red paint on the rust though. Where specifically are you seeing it, maybe I'm missing something?

Ahh ok, I looked at that area again and under the loupe I'm not seeing any red paint there. Only rust/bare metal. It's a bit of a pain to take the pictures under the loupe so they sometimes don't come out super clear and I think that's what's happening here.

Took another picture (right side up this time) with the light at a different angle that I think came out a little clearer

post-169952-0-32090100-1561432454_thumb.jpg

I just spent more time looking at that spot, really lighting up the area with my loupe's light, a bright desk lamp, and my phone's flashlight to get a clear view of that spot. I'm really not seeing any paint there. There's a little rust in that area but I'm not seeing paint.

Honestly, I dont recal ever seeing a Navy Corpsman helmet painted like that. Very Army Like. Most I remember seeing either just had a Red Cross on the front (maybe all four sides, over the plain base color (OD or what ever gray was available), or were painted all over white, with the crosses applied over that. Just an observation.

Just sharing this for future reference.

Army style medic panels in the navy on D-day no less...

Corpsmen-of-the-Beach-Battalion-transpor

Thanks for sharing that Ken, I really love how you can see the different styles not only in how the helmets are painted but also in the armbands

. Yes, working with the Army. Wearing Army uniforms. Why not?

. Yes, working with the Army. Wearing Army uniforms. Why not?

I get the point... These are amphibious troops which probably doesn't prove a lot. We must however keep in mind that the army itself shunned panels like these specifically on D-day out of fear for a hostile reaction towards army medical personnel and the violation of the Geneva Convention. Although they are out there, you will rarely see pictures of army medical personnel wearing helmets with panels like these on D-day. Althought the evidence is still extremely rare, naval staff seems to have used some. To that end, I hope Costa can join the conversation and share with us his identified D-day corpsman helmet. That one is painted navy blue with a circular panel on the back.

For the sake of your thread Nick, Here's a Coast Guard corpsman in action at Normandy just to show the exception to the rule is always out there..

I can only hope it settles any concerns you guys might have concerning the army style panels.

Best regards

DSC_1182.jpg?ssl=1

To that end, I hope Costa can join the conversation and share with us his identified D-day corpsman helmet. That one is painted navy blue with a circular panel on the back.

Would this happen to be the helmet you are referring to? I found it yesterday on a thread on a different corpsman helmet while I was searching the examples of corpsman helmets that had been posted here in the past

post-169952-0-60929200-1561633768.jpeg

post-169952-0-01108800-1561633776.jpeg

To be totally honest, my only interest is USN, shipboard. I first started noticing these things about 1963(sih). Thats when my dad allowed me to run free on the ship he was on at the time, (LST). One of his buddies was the HM1. From that time on, I never saw a Corpsman helmet with the pannels sboard a ship. I saw the OP was named to an HM1. In my life in the Navy, we constantly mixed and matched helmet parts. Liner cracked, suspension worn out, toss it over the side and stick a netter one in. Chin straps worn out, buckle broken, cut them off and replace them. bail broke, chick it over the side and get another. Shell rusty, sand it down and repaint.

I ended up buying a better handheld microscope the other today and just got it in the mail today. I took some fresh pictures of the paint and in particular the rust spots vs the "marshmallowed" areas. To my untrained eyes it seems like a lot of the brown spots are mixed in with the paint rather than just sitting on top. I think I see a lot of similarities with the areas where rust is clearly exposed and bleeding into the paint. However, as I mentioned earlier, I haven't had too much hands on experience with painted helmets up to this point so I'd really appreciate hearing what others more experienced than I think.

This new microscope goes between 100x and 250x. Most of these pictures are taken at about 100x with only a small handful taken at a higher magnification.

Here's the link to the original, full sized photos if anyone wants to see them https://imgur.com/a/1uXfBW8

This first picture is of the area on the buckle side of the helmet where to me it looked like liquid ran and sat on the helmet

The second one is a closeup of one of the rust areas

post-169952-0-31644700-1561764102.jpg

post-169952-0-07520400-1561764215.jpg