2 Panel Corpsman Helmet - Opinions?

Nickman983

These are the last two and are again taken in the area where it looked like some liquid dripped/sat on top of the paint

post-169952-0-76761100-1561764740.jpg

post-169952-0-70569200-1561764745.jpg

manayunkman

Very interesting.

That microscope is incredible.

Are you using it in combination with your phone camera?

Very interesting.

That microscope is incredible.

Are you using it in combination with your phone camera?

Yea, I wanted to get a USB one what the relatively cheap USB ones I found required a software installation and had issues with Windows 10.

Here is the Amazon link for the one I ended up choosing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MS8O48/ref=emc_b_5_mob_i

Runs on a single AA battery, has a pretty black light, and a clip that helps attach your phone to the lense.

It's not the easiest to use but after getting used to it it's a bit easier to take clearer pictures than the other loupe I was using

I think it looks good at first sight.

Do we really need these close ups? I don't think they really help, only cause confusion.

I think it looks good at first sight.

Do we really need these close ups? I don't think they really help, only cause confusion.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll admit the photos I've included may be a bit excessive, but I figured providing more pictures would give a better overview of the age of the paint. As I mentioned earlier I don't have the most experience with painted helmets so my hope was to get feedback on the authenticity of the markings as well as better insight on what I should be looking for an an original piece.

In any case, if one of the moderators sees this and feels that pictures are too excessive then by all means feel free to remove some of the excess.

The Rooster

Personally. I think Nickman is into his hobby and uses the pics to determine whether he has the real deal or a fake. Kuddos to Nickman for using technology in the pursuit of his hobby! Its an awesome tool for seeing detail.

We all have opinions. Mine is theres nothing wrong with the pictures and theres nothing wrong with Nickmans enthusiasm in

the pursuit of collecting real painted M1's.

I learn every time I read someones posts and see their pics… I learn something new.

Something like that would be real handy for my eyes. Using a magnifying glass is the height of my technology.

I might pic one of these up. CAn you use them on a Mac ?

I might pic one of these up. CAn you use them on a Mac ?

The one I linked is handheld, it has no USB to connect it to a computer. It comes with a clip to attach your phone to the lens which is how I got the pictures. I will say though, while I like it I feel like it may be a bit too powerful even at the lowest zoom. The same company makes a 60x-120x pocket microscope that I might pickup at a later point to replace my existing 60x loupe. However, that one doesn't have the phone clip or a UV light

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to add something to the debate. I have found 4 photos of large red crosses painted on Ranger helmets. They are shown in the famous photos of the Rangers as they board their LCA's in Weymouth Harbour.

I was a personal friend of 5th Ranger - A Company Medic Jack Burke and he told me that he did not want to wear a painted helmet because he thought he would stand out as a target... he wore a standard unmarked helmet and just an armband. But as the video shows some in the Rangers did paint theirs. There is also the famous photo of the 5th Rangers LCA at sea with all the guys waving from it and Weymouth in the background. There is a Medics helmet very clearly seen in that photo with a large cross.

I had the pleasure of meeting 2nd Ranger Frank South before he passed away. He told me that he would not always wear his armband and when not doing so - "he was an infantrymen" - so the use of the armband was discretionary as needed, at least that is what he implied.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just found out some interesting news regarding this helmet. I've been having another forum member help me out recently researching a few individuals including the vet that this helmet is named to. I just heard back that he found a record for C. Nuernberger however, the record states he served in '76-'77. This might mean that the Vietnam era liner that was mentioned earlier was in fact original to the helmet but I have no way of confirming that at this point since I don't know what happened to it. There was a C. Nuernberger I found who served from '71 to '77 as a lab supervisor that I had talked to a while back to determine if the helmet may have belonged to him, however I was told he never had a helmet. That being said, the first name, middle initial, and year of birth of the individual I talked with and the individual whose information was found in the archives match. I have no idea what the chances of this being a coincidence are but I would imagine it's probably slim.

Outside of the obvious reason for the markings, is there any reason the Geneva style crosses would have still been used around '76-'77? The only things I can think of are that maybe the helmet was tucked away on board a ship and was found/used by a corpsman at a later date or (assuming the C. Nurenberger I talked to is in fact the one whose name is marked in the helmet and that he somehow forgot about it) that the helmet was either used or picked up by his father (who served in the navy towards the end of WWII) and then given to him during his service.

I would think that either situation would be a bit of a stretch to believe but I don't know.

manayunkman has a good point about the red being painted on top of the rust.

I've looked a few times in that area and I'm not really seeing where there is red paint on top of the rust. I did see a few small splotches with my higher powered loupe in the groove left by someone pressing too hard with a pencil to outline the cross, but I don't recall seeing any that were actually on top of rust. I'll have to check again tomorrow night after I get back home though.

Just had the opportunity to look at the spot in question again. I've looked at it with a loupe between 60x and 250x and I'm not seeing anywhere that has red paint on top of rust in the area in question. I see what may be a spot or two of red paint on top of the either the pencil marking or bare metal but not on top of rust.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

No offense, but can there be anything left to say about this helmet?

There is paint on top of rust, clearly, as well as the translucent amber-colored material laying on top of the paint, and fuzzy corrosion, which is typical of artificial aging.

You have VERY seasoned helmet collectors telling you this Sir.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

No offense, but can there be anything left to say about this helmet?

There is paint on top of rust, clearly, as well as the translucent amber-colored material laying on top of the paint, and fuzzy corrosion, which is typical of artificial aging.

You have VERY seasoned helmet collectors telling you this Sir.

I've heard a range of opinions on this but at this point I guess there's not much else to say. I would at the very least like to try to use this as a (somewhat pricey) learning experience as that's probably all I can do at this point. I would be very appreciative if someone would be willing to help me with some examples of what original aging vs fake aging looks like. I've seen a decent amount on what to look for but I've had trouble finding resources as to what it actually looks like under the loupe. It's difficult for someone getting into collecting to get a good idea of what to look for without having examples of both real and fake helmets to compare.

I'd also really like to know what happened to the Vietnam era liner between when the helmet was first sold on eBay and when FSBE posted it here/sold it to me.

I would strongly recommend going to the helmets section here on the forum, and putting in some work studying photos, feedback, etc, from past topics. There is sadly no shortcut or crib sheet, you just have to look at 100s of examples to start to develop a sense for real versus contrived wear. I would also caution you against buying something unless you are sure about what it is. If you are not, post first, then buy - not the other way around. I got nailed doing this backwards on a camo FJ helmet when I first started, which was my lesson. Good luck.

I've heard a range of opinions on this but at this point I guess there's not much else to say. I would at the very least like to try to use this as a (somewhat pricey) learning experience as that's probably all I can do at this point. I would be very appreciative if someone would be willing to help me with some examples of what original aging vs fake aging looks like. I've seen a decent amount on what to look for but I've had trouble finding resources as to what it actually looks like under the loupe. It's difficult for someone getting into collecting to get a good idea of what to look for without having examples of both real and fake helmets to compare.

I'd also really like to know what happened to the Vietnam era liner between when the helmet was first sold on eBay and when FSBE posted it here/sold it to me.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I know that the red crosses were used in 1962.

Ronnie

Vietnamese used them in the late 60s and possibly into the 70s

I think we need a DNA analysis on that hair.lol

I like this one. Any ideas if the military started taking DNA samples in the 60's? We should cross reference it with everyone who has the same last name to determine the owner.