M1917 Trench Knife

dunit35

I have an A.C.C.O trench knife listed for sale on here. It was brought to my attention that the metal fitting on the end of the scabbard could be a reproduction. It does not have the "MS" stamping on it. A magnet does stick to the fitting. The metal fitting closer to the handle does have the "MS" stamp. I purchased the knife from a well known dealer a few months back. I have included a few photographs for further assistance. Thanks for the help.

post-200443-0-59611100-1561051924.jpg

post-200443-0-18941200-1561051936.jpg

post-200443-0-82364400-1561051946.jpg

post-200443-0-28941400-1561051956.jpg

Check the large stitch, to the right parallel to the stitch it should be stamped "JEWELL 1918", or the repro scabbard would have 'PRAIRIE FLOWER" same spot. That should give you an idea if the scabbard is original, a reproduction, or the tip was replaced. SKIP

Check the large stitch, to the right parallel to the stitch it should be stamped "JEWELL 1918", or the repro scabbard would have 'PRAIRIE FLOWER" same spot. That should give you an idea if the scabbard is original, a reproduction, or the tip was replaced. SKIP

The scabbard is marked Jewell 1918. Wasn't sure if the tip had been replaced. Thanks.

FYI, besides the "PRAIRIE FLOWER" marked reproductions, there are some other remakes around now that are marked "JEWELL-1918. Not too hard to spot right now, but I can imagine a few years down the road as these take on some wear and age.

dunit35,

I would say the drag (tip) was replaced. In addition to it lacking the M.S stamp, the wear to the rivets is negligible compared to the leather body of the scabbard. The rivets are made of brass and this would be clearly evident. Only one that I have that is in pristine condition shows no wear to the rivets. All have the M.S stamp. Wonder how the rivets on the throat compare to those on the drag. Also the finish and or patina of the throat as it compares to the drag..