Pair of Patched 101st Airborne ACHs

AnDuc49

Hello all,

Wanted to share these two ACHs which I've picked up fairly recently. Based on their parts and components, these two were likely used towards the later stages of GWOT.

The 1st helmet is an ACH patched to 1st Batt., 327th Inf. Regt. "Bulldogs" and is named to "Hoffman". The helmet also has a Gen II TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury Sensor) produced by BAE Systems mounted in the interior of the helmet beneath the crown pad. With IEDs becoming a weapon of choice used by insurgents in Iraq and later on in Afghanistan, many of those who were injured in IED blasts suffered from TBI. In order to help understand the blast forces faced by soldiers and marines with these weapons the military asked for a means to collect data in order to provide additional protection. These units collected data on the blast and pressure effects to the head and brain from those soldiers who were hit by IED's. If hit by an IED, these can be rapidly downloaded at the field hospital in order to help identify possible TBI injuries and improve patient care.

The helmet shows is quite dirty and faded in hand, showing signs of field usage. Unfortunately at some point, the original field worn pads have been discarded for a clean set.

According to the Ft. Campbell Courier, from 2010 till 2015, 1-327 served 3 separate tours in Afghanistan. TBI Sensors were not part of the standard helmet production process and were epoxied in later on in preparation for combat deployments. That being said, this helmet was likely used in Afghanistan during that time span.

The 2nd helmet is an ACH patched to the 4th BCT, 506th Inf. Regt. "Curahee" (the Spades having of course been made famous by Easy Co., 2-506 during WWII) named to a "C.F. Anderson". The 4th BCT was comprised of 3,500 personnel spread out across 6 different battalions: 2 Inf., 1 Recon., 1 FA, a Brigade Troops Battalion, and the Brigade Support Battalion along with the Headquarters Company for the Brigade

While the helmet is relatively clean, it does show signs of field usage. I believe at some point, the helmet was washed out and cleaned as is common.

The 4th BCT was re-activated on 15 September 2005 and would serve 4 tours during GWOT: 1st for a year in 2005-2007 during OIF and 3 more times during OEF 2008-2009, 2010-2011 and 2013-2014 before de-activated once again in mid-2014

With the kevlar nape pad becoming standard issue around 2008, this helmet was likely used sometime between 2008-2014.

I hope that y'all like these as much as I do!

post-154926-0-16670500-1560980782_thumb.jpg

post-154926-0-46036900-1560980789_thumb.jpg

Great lids all around, you've really been picking up a lot of quality helmets. Great information as well on the background of the deployments.

Thank you for the kind comments, glad that you guys like them.

I always try to do as much research as I can on helmets, especially with these modern ones as the information for their users and respectful units are so readily available. it's a challenge

Thank you for the kind comments, glad that you guys like them.

I always try to do as much research as I can on helmets, especially with these modern ones as the information for their users and respectful units are so readily available.

Shhhhh, you'll let the secret out! ;)