Books on the Liberation of the Philippines 1944-1945?

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

Looking for some book recommendations on the US Liberation of the Philippines in 1944-1945. Would like to read more about this as I do not know more than basic information on the battle. Let me know if you have any good suggestions!

Hunt

Hello,

Check out the book "Rampage" by James Scott. I am reading it now. It is narrowly focused on the Battle of Manila and the trial of Gen. Yamashita. Very interesting reading so far.

huntssurplus

Hello,

Check out the book "Rampage" by James Scott. I am reading it now. It is narrowly focused on the Battle of Manila and the trial of Gen. Yamashita. Very interesting reading so far.

I'll give it a look!

Anyone have any books for an overview of the entire operation?

Hunt

Just came to me--if you really want detail you should check out "Triumph in the Phillippines"by Robert Ross Smith. It's part of the US Army in WWII series published by the Center of Military History, U.S. Army, Washington, DC. A county or large library would probably be able to track it down.

An entertaining read on a small part of the operations in the Philippines can be found in Mission ISRM. It is about the clandestine radio operation on Mindoro.

huntssurplus

I'll give both of those book a look! It seems there isn't too many books written on the liberation of Philippines? At least from what I could find on Amazon.

Hunt

I read a great book on Corregidor a few years ago. Can't remember for sure, but think it was Corregidor, The Rock Force Assault, 1945 by Flanagan. very well done. I'll try to confirm that is the book. Man, what a battle!

I finished reading "Rampage" just a couple of months ago. It was a well done book about the battle for Manila. It shows a lot of the horrors the civilians had to endure while the battle was fought around them.

Mikie