Help with Inert 81mm Mortar Shell?

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

I've had this for years and it's time to let go. Era? Value? It has been painted. Thanks

post-573-0-64134900-1560879548_thumb.jpg

greasemonkey247

Looking at a glance its a 1936-38 dated F.A. 81mm shell....1937-early 1938 if its lot# 8275-2 (depends on lot number to get a better date also the fuze date gives you +- a few months of the mfg date also) with zinc coated fins. It would be fully painted yellow or blue (over the berret band) and would have 1in serif typeface nomenclature on it. stating 3TM & 81mm etc... Would be issued with a M45 Fuze and is valued (if the body isn't damaged) is around the $125 mark. If it had its original paint with nomenclature and a complete m45 fuze with all internals, it could be $300 area. but then again you can always find deals for these in the $50-100 range depending on luck

Agreed with grenade monkey generally. I have a gold painted one with out fuze, no dates from what I can see , engraved " Lot 2275-2 FA 81mm M43 - FOP", with ordnance wheel. I paid $75 a year or two ago at auction,( it was a lamp- hole drilled in bottom base) yours has the original propelling charge ( plus) , damaged missing nose plunger fuze ( minus)....you decide. Correct, ink marked, original painted complete ones I have seen bring $350 plus easy....I will " restore " it some time as a nifty desk lamp.

dhcoleterracina

Thanks for the help and humor, I see it has markings on the body, "LOT 8275 -- FA 81 MM M43 FDB" The fuse has markings but nothing I can read. Should I remove the paint? If anything I'm guessing blue underneath.

Thanks for the help and humor, I see it has markings on the body, "LOT 8275 -- FA 81 MM M43 FDB" The fuse has markings but nothing I can read. Should I remove the paint? If anything I'm guessing blue underneath.

I would leave everything as it is. These M43 early mortars are harder to find than the later A1/ A2 s. Appreciated most by mortar collectors. I would list it on eBay, worst that can happen is you are suspended for a few months ( I have been)...and, I noticed the expended propelling shell is a Winchester manufacture, not to many around.

greasemonkey247

Leave it as is, yours is 1937/38 dated. Who ever is buying it would restore it, plus the zinc fin should be left as is.. All pre war 81mm made by this MFG will be stamped

LOT XXXX- 2 F.A. 81MM., M43 E.D.B 8275 is the most common lot number for this style. #2275-2 and #1953-2 are the earliest lots and are closer to 1935/36 in my estimation and also are in a smaller type face then the (8275 lot), Ordinance acceptance stamp should be 1in above the "-2" usually. and lastly i believe all are marked E.D.B but the die became worn or began to make less clean strikes later in the manufacturing along with more lathe machining marks left on surface then the shell then smoother surface of earlier made ones. In 1940/41ish the lifting charges changed from round packs to sewed squares and thus have the more common fins seen during WWII.. Also the burret gas check bands were painted over pre war before they realized it caused the tube to become fouled during the war. A blue practice round should still have yellow paint under it. and both blue and yellow rounds would be marked 81M & 3TM as the M1 system was still new and the Stokes 3in trench mortar was still in use during the 1930s maneuvers when these rounds came about

dhcoleterracina

Thanks both, I'll leave it as is. I can't go ebay since I don't want other interests interrupted. I'll figure out something.