Uniform of a Marine WIA on Guadalcanal

copper252

Uniform of Private J a m e s N M o o r e. James was born in Shelbyville Tennessee on October 16th, 1922. He enlisted in the Marine Corps on February 7th, 1942 and was sent to Parris Island for Boot Camp. He was assigned to F Company, 5th Marines. On April 18th he went AWOL from his post and then surrendered 11 days later. He was punished with fines, solitary confinement and transferred to G Company, 3rd Marines. On May 17th he went AWOL once again and was declared a deserter, he was turned in by civil authorities 38 days later at the recruiting station in his home town. I assume he went home before being arrested. He was court martialed. He was fined $25 per month for six months and given a Bad Conduct Discharge from the Marine Corps. However he BCD was remitted because of 6 months of good conduct. He was transferred to G company, 8th Marines and arrived on Guadalcanal on November 4th, 1942. He saw 3 weeks of combat before being shot in the left hand by a .25 Caliber Japanese rifle round. He was evacuated off the island on the 24th and sent to the US Naval Hospital in San Diego. On November 7th, 1943 he once again went AWOL for a night from the hospital and was fined $16 per month from 2 months pay. He was given a medical survey in February of 1944. He was diagnosed with Hysteria after having periods of amnesia and becoming panicky after someone popped a paper bag near him. He was then medically discharged from the Marine Corps on March 23rd, 1944. Thank you to Private Moore for serving his country.

This uniform came from a fellow member, thanks to him. I decided to make a post on it because I found out his interesting story.

post-163795-0-51730600-1560826893_thumb.jpeg

Marine stuff isn’t my area of focus but his story is definitely interesting and pretty cool albeit serious and somewhat tragic regarding his PTSD. Thanks for sharing!

Marine stuff isn’t my area of focus but his story is definitely interesting and pretty cool albeit serious and somewhat tragic regarding his PTSD. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I thought the story deserved a forum post.

-Seth

Thanks, I thought the story deserved a forum post.

-Seth

It definitely does, its neat seeing his picture and uniform too

It definitely does, its neat seeing his picture and uniform too

Yeah I think it always is interesting to get a photo of the veteran.

thank you for posting

So young! Thank you for sharing this Marine's story and the images of his uniform.

Mike

Thanks, he was either 17 or 19. I am not sure, I have seen either 1922 or 1924 listed for him.

Great Uniform with wide ribbons

Thanks, I had never seen the Wolf Brown singles until now.

Glad you liked it. Yes, this is a rag mill piece. Sad that so many people whose relatives gave so much cared so little for their stuff. I was always wondering why this guy never seemed to be at least a PFC. Now I know why. Over the years I let so many uniforms go through my hands cause they weren't something really special, usually AAF or M.C. that I kick myself. Oh well, you can't have them all. Now you rarely find anything this cool any more in a rag house.

Glad you liked it. Yes, this is a rag mill piece. Sad that so many people whose relatives gave so much cared so little for their stuff. I was always wondering why this guy never seemed to be at least a PFC. Now I know why. Over the years I let so many uniforms go through my hands cause they weren't something really special, usually AAF or M.C. that I kick myself. Oh well, you can't have them all. Now you rarely find anything this cool any more in a rag house.

Thanks, I wonder how the uniform made its way to a rag mill, It's sad that the family may not have cared for it. Thanks for the amazing uniform.

-Seth