WW2 era Ordnance 37mm - 76mm, howitzer.

post-180924-0-77429500-1560799139_thumb.jpeg

L-R

1) 37mm M13 APC loading dummy, 1944. 2) 40mm Borors on Army clip, Army M81A1AP, 1944. Navy HE-T-SD ,1942. Same. Navy HE-I-P, 1942. 3) 57mm RR M306A1 HE, 1953. 4) 57mm M22 Drill, 1942. 5) 75mm Shrapnel G/ H, 1918. 6) 75mm Howitzer M48 HE, 1944. 7) 75mm APC-T M61A1, 1944. 8) 75mm

RR M309A1 HE, 1945. 9) 75mm Skysweeper T50E2 HE, 1955. 10) 3" M42 HE, 1941. 11) 3" M62A1 APC.

1944. 12) 3"/50 Navy MK 29 AP, 1942. 13) 76mm M352 HE, 1952. 14) 105mm Howitzer M314A1 Illum.,

1953. 15) 105mm Howitzer M1 HE inert loaded, 1945.

A few comments. Prior to 1942, US ordnance was painted yellow.On Artillery, the bourrelet area was left bare, no paint. Much confusion about the difference between the 3" projectile and the 76mm projectile. The 3" projectile is 76mm and was loaded into 76mm cases, you will not see " 76mm" marked on WW2 projectiles but instead 3"....until post war when the 3" was dropped from service. For example, the M62 projectile was put into an Army 3" case or the M26 straight case which was often marked 76mm. Confusion about the Army 3" case and the Navy 3"/50 case- not.even.close. Look carefully. Lastly, later in the war we developed steel cases instead of brass. They will have a " B1" designation.The 75mm shrapnel shell stocks were huge and believed to have been used up very early in the war, and WW1 type cases have been found on WW2 era ranges and training areas supposedly fired from early Grant tanks and outdated Guard unit artillery pieces. Any corrections or errors, please bring forward. I spent a day putting this " guide" together ( and the Tank ammunition guide) to inventory part of my collection and help members ID what they have or may find.

Persian Gulf Command

Thank you for sharing your ordnance collection with us at USMF. Also for any of us who collect ordnance or visit the Firearms & Ordnance section we are most appreciative for your expertise, comments, and assistance offered here.

Great stuff I can personally appreciate the actual weight of your efforts to assemble these displays.

Thanks again,

John

Thank you for sharing your ordnance collection with us at USMF. Also for any of us who collect ordnance or visit the Firearms & Ordnance section we are most appreciative for your expertise, comments, and assistance offered here.

Great stuff I can personally appreciate the actual weight of your efforts to assemble these displays.

Thanks again,

John

My thanks, I have learned much more from this forum and am glad I can contribute to expanding the knowledge base.

Indeed, fantastic collection, and really nice rounds..,would love to have a couple of those myself!

Thank you, Are you able to post a few pics of the rounds that I missed? Add to the US 37mm-76mm, ( I have no earlier 37mm , the short ones common in WW1 used up to the thirties- or any 76mm ( 3"- in the M26 case)...and any large bore in my post - tank rounds, 90mm- 120mm.

Thank you, Are you able to post a few pics of the rounds that I missed? Add to the US 37mm-76mm, ( I have no earlier 37mm , the short ones common in WW1 used up to the thirties- or any 76mm ( 3"- in the M26 case)...and any large bore in my post - tank rounds, 90mm- 120mm.

Sure...I don't have really good pics, but here is a WWI 3" Field Gun shrapnel round, and a rare 3" 15 pdr Seacoast Gun AA shell...

post-2803-0-49980300-1560982693_thumb.jpg

Here are a few 37mm shells to add to your list. Im not home so I had to crop this from a picture I had on my phone. All 43 or earlier and the tube goes with the AP round.

post-2641-0-00308600-1561074426_thumb.jpeg

Very nice additions. I noticed the 37mm canister round, perhaps the rarest?( on far right), or the 90mm HVAP? Let's keep the pictures rolling in. Thanks.

I picked up this M54 37mm projectile last month at the West Coast Historical Militaria show. Its far outside my normal areas of collecting, but has really sparked an interest in me and I want more of them!

I guess the system doesnt like my pics. Its always something, isnt it?

• 1 month later...

Bump to top, please add your positive identified ordnance. Note the " M" number if possible and as much info as you can. Keeping this post open will be of great help for members.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 6/17/2019 at 4:02 PM, 917601 said:

A few comments. Prior to 1942, US ordnance was painted yellow.On Artillery, the bourrelet area was left bare, no paint. Much confusion about the difference between the 3" projectile and the 76mm projectile. The 3" projectile is 76mm and was loaded into 76mm cases, you will not see " 76mm" marked on WW2 projectiles but instead 3"....until post war when the 3" was dropped from service. For example, the M62 projectile was put into an Army 3" case or the M26 straight case which was often marked 76mm. Confusion about the Army 3" case and the Navy 3"/50 case- not.even.close. Look carefully. Lastly, later in the war we developed steel cases instead of brass. They will have a " B1" designation.The 75mm shrapnel shell stocks were huge and believed to have been used up very early in the war, and WW1 type cases have been found on WW2 era ranges and training areas supposedly fired from early Grant tanks and outdated Guard unit artillery pieces. Any corrections or errors, please bring forward. I spent a day putting this " guide" together ( and the Tank ammunition guide) to inventory part of my collection and help members ID what they have or may find.

I am specializing in collecting items related to the WWII 3” M5 anti tank gun.

I already knew the Navy and Army cases and projectiles were different.

My question is, were all the 3” / 76mm army cases used in WWII the same? Did the M10 tank destroyer use the same case as the M5 ATG?