PFC John K Mohrlang - any documents or leads welcomed

Mohrlangbaby

Mohrlangbaby

I am Johnny's great neice. My dad's father was Rueben the eldest of the Mohrlang tribe. Gary was my second cousin (I think). I have had a passion for history, learning, and the like since I was a little girl. Thanks to my father's stories of his time in the Peace Corp (Borneo & Japan), my grandpa, and my Uncles' tales of their time in the war, stories of my Uncle Johnny's life, I find this passion turning into an obsession the older I get. My father is the last close descendant of Johnny and I am trying to find anything and everything I can about his last moments in hopes of bringing him home so that he and his legacy can finally be at peace surrounded by his family. The information that I have found thus far is contradictory at best and incomplete at worst. Unfortunately since the passing of Gary and his son the whereabouts of the collection and accompanying documents are at this time missing. My dad and I are attempting to contact remaining family members but many have moved or we are just not able to find them. All this triable to say if any one has any information or leads I would be very grateful!

post-179152-0-37527900-1560778908.jpg

familytreevets

There are a couple references of him in books by Eric Hammel and John Lane about the invasion of Tarawa. Use the Google search engine with his name and then go to Books.

from the book

Bloody Tarawa: A Pictorial Record, Expanded Edition

By Eric Hammel, John E. Lane

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 9.06.24 AM.png

I sent you a couple emails last night, but I thought I would add this here, as other members might know something based off the photo. He was buried at sea less than 1.5km from the reef bordering the lagoon, approximately 5km from the northern tip of Betio. Coordinates taken from his casualty card and input into Google Earth

Mohrlang 7.JPG

Mohrlangbaby

Thank you all so much for all this information! You guys are amazing! ?❤️

Some of this, I already had compiled from my own searches & family genealogy but some I was very interested to note. I do have some letters from my Uncle Johnny (as well as a couple other brothers) that my dad was able to give me many years ago. They were very interesting to read. I miss ink to paper communications, it's a lost art form!

Mohrlangbaby

R.I.P. PFC Morhrlang. Semper Fi! Bobgee

Thank you Bobgee! He definitely was a great guy from what stories I heard.