eBay $900 Lieutenant Colonel Insignia?

Dave

When I first saw these insignia, I thought they were pretty cool. The original owner was promoted to LTC in 1918, so they probably are WW1-ish (he was promoted to COL in 1934, so he was a LTC for 16 years...they could date from any time in there...) They are very much Navy/Marine Corps style with the veins instead of the line detail, and if I could have gotten them for...say...$200...I would have been stoked. :D

I know they're Tiffany and with being 24g of 14k gold, their melt value is right around $600, so I wasn't really surprised when they got up to $700 fairly quickly (not surprised, but disappointed, of course!) However, I did not imagine them hitting over $900 at the final bell.

They are Tiffany, 14k gold, and old...but were worn by a guy with a long and fairly routine career, so I know no one was throwing money at them because he was some sort of famous war hero. Aside from being Tiffany and 14k...is there any other reason that these would have hit $900? I was pretty surprised in the end.

Dave

Screenshot_7.jpg

Screenshot_8.jpg

I often watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS. Collectors of Tiffany produced items spend richly on their work, I would guess maybe that was the draw?IH

As I recall, several of the bidders had low feedback numbers which could mean they were newbies and became caught up in the whole auction thing which may explain some of it.

I am quite confident, though, that these insignia were the property of Col Clifford Jones, West Point 1903, who was the executive assistant to the Chief of Staff of the Army from 1918-1920. He was awarded the DSM for that assignment and no, the seller does not have the DSM or certificate -- I already asked!

Dennis

ocsfollowme

Tiffany has crazy collectors. If I would have stayed in the Army long enough I would have picked up this set to wear on my dress uniform!

I purchased a really neat Tiffany Co blue star banner pin that my mother wore while I was in the Army. Only the best for Mom!

Tiffany could have bought them back. Ive heard they have a nice vault of items they have created in the past.

As we know, these things can be hard to date. But I would need some very strong evidence for placing those in the WW1 period. The Marine Corps didn't spec the smooth veined pattern till 1937, and of course the army never did. Though it's certainly possible that manufacturers were making that style before, I can't recall ever seeing a WW1 or 1920s photo of a major or lt. col. wearing leaves of this type. Anything's possible, but $900?

Wow...maybe it's time I sell mine. Been thinking about doing that anyway. Out of an estate about 50 miles from my house. This guy was in both wars and was a full bird Colonel inn WWII. I paid about what these others on Ebay sold for a few years back.

Well that's good enough for me, I stand corrected! I've never seen that style that early. A Tiffany only thing back then, I assume? Thanks!

• 6 months later...

The dating on these insignia can be tied down pretty well- they came from the estate of Clifford Jones, a West Point graduate. He was promoted to Lt Col in the Coastal Artillery Corps in January 1927 then full colonel in 1934. I assume they were presented upon initial promotion.

Bryan