WW1 M1917 Helmet

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hey Guys,

Looking to add a WW1 helmet to my collection as I'm starting to gain some more interest into the WW1 time period. There is a helmet I have my sights on, but am wondering about heat stamps. I know US manufactured helmets usually start with a Z, but it seems this heat stamp only has letters. Looks to be Z C R U to me. Thought it should have 2-3 numbers after the first two letters? Everything else seems to be correct WW1 US helmet including the chins strap rivets and corking. Any ideas if this is original?

Thanks

Hunt

post-165862-0-20667500-1560741837.jpgpost-165862-0-59170900-1560741847_thumb.jpg

Unless the price is cheap, Id wait for an example with less rust damage. Lots of examples in better condition, IMO.

huntssurplus

Unless the price is cheap, Id wait for an example with less rust damage. Lots of examples in better condition, IMO.

Could you possibly direct me to some better examples? Looking for one that is fully intact with the liner and chinstrap as this one is, but would definitely like one that doesn't have the rust like this one! Because WW1 isn't my focus though, would like something relatively on the cheaper side. What is a good price for a WW1 m1917 like the one I posted versus one without the rust damage?

Thanks

Hunt

If you pay attention to eBay they pop up fairly often. Really more about waiting for one that's in good condition and the right price. Outside of eBay I know bay state militaria has a decent selection of wwi head gear, though I personally haven't purchased anything from them as of now.

To give you an idea of price I think I paid about $50 or $60 for a 7th ID m1917 that I believe was repainted at some point and was missing the liner. My other m1917 is a named m1917 with excellent original finish, complete (but loose) liner and chinstrap and painted with the III Corps insignia. I would guess something in that price range would be reasonable for a m1917 in good condition.

Hope this helps!