Help dating USN WW2 rate patches

sjw83071

• 4 months later...

I am thinking that not all WW2 rate patches are not dated on the back but the stitched on chevrons are an indication that it pre-dates 1948. Any way to narrow down a non-dated stitched on chevron as definitely within or before the war?

Here is a RM1c I got over the weekend. It is dated 1942

post-154098-0-09139900-1571679960.jpg

post-154098-0-50043300-1571679977_thumb.jpg

I would say the patch is mid 1941 to late 1940s, maybe a few years later. Some time after 1948 I believe the stitching on the chevrons changed, but not sure if that was just a manufacturer variation, with different manufacturers getting contracts in 1948. My focus has been on WWII era collecting, so dating later patches hasn't been something I have spent much thought on.

Applied chevrons turn up a long time after WW2. FWIW, my dad got a set of Blues made in Hong Kong, about 1964. His rating badge and hash marks, were applied. In 1982, I needed some 3 stripe hash marks. I was in the exchange in Sasebo Japan. All they had were applied stripes. No dates, just still in use.

Applied chevrons turn up a long time after WW2. FWIW, my dad got a set of Blues made in Hong Kong, about 1964. His rating badge and hash marks, were applied. In 1982, I needed some 3 stripe hash marks. I was in the exchange in Sasebo Japan. All they had were applied stripes. No dates, just still in use.

thanks for the reply. so basically very difficult to date I guess. Are there any indicators in the stitching?

Do you know when applied stripe manufacture switched over to embroidered?

thanks for the reply. so basically very difficult to date I guess. Are there any indicators in the stitching?

Do you know when applied stripe manufacture switched over to embroidered?

. Late 1940s. But there were literally millions of the applied chevron types in stock, that they just stayed in use. Were they still made after 1945? I dont teally know. I know they were still being used for the rates that did not change after 1948. Another piece to this puzzle. I have a SMC uniform that is post 1958. The rating badge is applied chevron. The SM rate was abolished in 1948, but re established in 1958. The rate was on the right sleeve prior to 1948, but was shifted to the left sleeve when re established. So, at least SMC crows, after 1958, were being made with applied chevrons

The 1951 USN Uniform Regs (art 1202) specify that the chevrons, specialty mark and eagle will be embroidered and the angle of the chevrons is specified.. Applied chevrons were around up to the early 1970s for the CG.

. Late 1940s. But there were literally millions of the applied chevron types in stock, that they just stayed in use. Were they still made after 1945? I dont teally know. I know they were still being used for the rates that did not change after 1948. Another piece to this puzzle. I have a SMC uniform that is post 1958. The rating badge is applied chevron. The SM rate was abolished in 1948, but re established in 1958. The rate was on the right sleeve prior to 1948, but was shifted to the left sleeve when re established. So, at least SMC crows, after 1958, were being made with applied chevrons

Thanks for the information!

The 1951 USN Uniform Regs (art 1202) specify that the chevrons, specialty mark and eagle will be embroidered and the angle of the chevrons is specified.. Applied chevrons were around up to the early 1970s for the CG.

Thanks for the reply!

The OP is seeking rates for a family commemorative display. I offered to donate this one. Would anyone not feel comfortable attributing this patch to WWII manufacture? I feel comfortable identifying this as WWII era, but if there is a detail I am missing, would be happy to admit my error and to learn something new.

post-132988-0-14282900-1571847388_thumb.jpg

post-132988-0-51552900-1571847396_thumb.jpg

The OP is seeking rates for a family commemorative display. I offered to donate this one. Would anyone not feel comfortable attributing this patch to WWII manufacture? I feel comfortable identifying this as WWII era, but if there is a detail I am missing, would be happy to admit my error and to learn something new.

Many thanks, David!

Hi Everyone, I corresponded with Lion Bros. back in 1987, asking about the dating of their rating badges; the style David's Radioman 1C. I sent three rates for their inspection - P01 and PO2 blue and a PO3 white. Their reply: "The three (rates) you sent were made around 1943 and from what I understand we started making these in 1941, stopping in the year 1954."

Dennie

Hi Everyone, I corresponded with Lion Bros. back in 1987, asking about the dating of their rating badges; the style David's Radioman 1C. I sent three rates for their inspection - P01 and PO2 blue and a PO3 white. Their reply: "The three (rates) you sent were made around 1943 and from what I understand we started making these in 1941, stopping in the year 1954."

Dennie

. Yeah. I knew that applied chevrons were still being made post 1958. They remained in use much longer. The Navy doesnt just STOP, using something, just because a different Style is approved, or even called for by Regulations. They always put in a caviate that existing stocks are to be used first.

Yes I agree. I have a PO1 Nuclear Weaponsman blue rate in the classic Liona style with the unique eagle design, the ultra high relief of the embroidery and the 1905 quality of stitching on the applied felt chevrons. And, that specialty was authorized in 1958. Anyone have or has anyone seen a Photographic Intelligenceman in the classic Liona style? That specialty was also authorized in 1958 according to Stacey's book.

In 1964, the 1959 USN Uniform Regulations were changed (Change No. 3) to add this footnote to art. 0651. Rating Badges 1. General Description:

"Felt chevrons and matching felt service stripes are authorized for chief petty officers on an optional basis."

That note was continued in the 1969 regs. It was dropped in the '70s, but exactly when, I don't know.

In 1964, the 1959 USN Uniform Regulations were changed (Change No. 3) to add this footnote to art. 0651. Rating Badges 1. General Description:

"Felt chevrons and matching felt service stripes are authorized for chief petty officers on an optional basis."

That note was continued in the 1969 regs. It was dropped in the '70s, but exactly when, I don't know.

. And my post 1958 khaki SMC uniform has felt chevrons with embroidered service stripes. He obviously added a stripe or 2 after making Chief. LOL We dont need no stinking Regulations!

Hope you guys can help out with these items I am looking at. Can you tell from the photos if they are all WW2 ITEMS? And what is the rating on the right?

The one on right could also be a ww2 rate. Special Artificer which was around during war 2 then became what sigs had said. I finally found a cpo in grey.