AVRN Jump Wings?

Mk1rceme

I apologize if this kind of wing is not allowed here. I was told the US helped with their training. As far as I can tell it is an AVRN jump wing badge. Just don't know if it is original or not. There is not much info out there on these badges...at least what I can find.

Looks like there was a device above the star at one point, probably senior or master. One of the hooks are missing. And it looks like it was glued to a display at some point in time.

Just wondering if it is original or not...or a fantasy piece. I have only found sewn patches on the net so far.

Thanks

Dale

post-1940-1230411334.jpg

vintageproductions

There are numerous variations of this wing in metal. Yours does not look Vietnamese made, but more like one of the ones sold post-Vietnam for US servicemen to wear on their uniforms.

Thanks for the info...I don't know much at all about wings. For years I thought it was Russian but recently I found some similar sewn AVRN wing patches on the net. Surprised the heck out of me.

So they are common...probably not worth too much then. I wanted to put it up for sale for along time but I find it hard to sell something I know spit about. Perhaps an AVRN collector out there might want it.

Thanks again!

This style of feathering is for LLDB (Luc-Luong Dac-Biet) -- Special Forces. The non-SF wings has feathers of different shape. For post-war use as foreign jump wings, these were made up by a few different sources in the US and one in Germany or France.

The top picture shows front and back of two sets of ARVN wings.....and to bring the topic back in line with rules about US items.....these were issued to me during my tour in Vietnam.

The pair on the left have no device. They're made of what looks like thin stamped steel and they're not easily bent. One of the clutch posts is broken off (if I remember correctly, a common failing with these wings). The pair on the right were issued considerably late in my tour (after several jumps with the Vietnamese). This pair is thicker then the one on the left and looks like it bight have been cast from a softer metal that can be bent to a degree if you try. This pair seems to have some sort of silver wash on the front. This pair also have clutch posts on the back but since I didn't wear this pair very much, they are still intact.

The wings in the bottom picture look much like yours. I can't show the back because they are mounted in my shadow box and I had to take this photo through the glass. They are thicker and of a more brittle metal. As I remember, the back looks much like this pair as well. I got these from a military insignia dealer back in the 80s when I put the shadow box together and they are from that era.

post-1107-1230848767.jpg

post-1107-1230848774.jpg