"Pelican beak" style dating

Kropotkin

I’ve happened across the below image from the Illustrated London News showing the various rank and qualification insignia for the US Army soon after America’s entry into the Second World War.

From this - dated February 7th 1942 - it’s evident that the pelican beak design for USAAF wings was definitely extant early war, most probably beforehand.

Thought some on here might be interested.

Posted Image

The Rooster

I'l guess that the photo was provided by the us govt and that they used Meyer wings. As far as I know.. Meyer used what looks like a pelican beak

with the soild line looking like the sep between upper and lower beak.

But that area of the wing, that shape is in most all of them.

Early Amraft wings and others have that space filled with feathers.

I might be wrong… But I think Pelican beak is Meyer?

Maybe some others used it like Amico and others may have used it too.

But I see a lot of others that have various patterns and lines in that area that don't look like

a pelican beak because they lack that solid line. So Im not sure how prevalent they really are?

Ive got 29 air corps wings in my case. And only 2 of them out of the 29 have the Pelican beak.

And they are both Meyers.

One is a pre warPilot and the other is a ww2 Gunner.

I know you have prob over a hundred air corps wings….

Just for shits and giggles.. Look em over and see how many Pelican beak styles you have.

Im thinking now that they are kind of rare ?? After finding only 2 in my case.

Could be mainly made by Meyer?

I’m not sure the nomenclature ‘pelican beak’ is strictly used to describe the more idiosyncratic Meyer-style wing shoulders - forgive me if it is - but rather the general design where the shoulders have that curved line running through them. To me those wings illustrated in the above picture lend themselves more to Amico or perhaps Balfour wings. I’d also add Moody Bros., H/H, J Odence, Norsid and Gemsco to that list.

The Rooster

Thats why I was thinking rare...though...... having 2 in my case of 29 does not equal rare !!! lol

lol Ive only got the 2 meyers . Thank you for cluing me in on the other makers...