Seeking Your Input on Purple Heart Book Cover Types

Dave

All:

I'm crowdsourcing input on what kind of cover I should go with for my book on posthumous Purple Hearts.

The basics of the book is that it will be 6x9 in format, hard cover, 580 glossy full color pages (so roughly 1 3/4 inches thick).

Where I'm in a bit of quandary is the cover type/appearance.

The printer I am leaning toward going with can literally do just about anything imaginable for a cover. Leather with gold leaf? Sure. Embossed designs? Of course. Rainbow foil? Absolutely. The possibilities are pretty much endless.

However, this is a book on a somber topic and it's also a book that I want people to be able to keep on their desk and put in their bag to take to shows...I want it to be a "working" book that becomes a mainstay reference for the owner.

The choices I've boiled it down to are these:

1. Gloss cover (with image) but no dust jacket.

2. Gloss cover with dust jacket (matching image; this is how Schiffer does their books).

3. Matte cover (with image) with no dust jacket

4. Matte cover with gloss dust jacket (matching images)

5. Matte cover with matte dust jacket (like above, just both are matte)

6. Gloss image dust jacket over plain cloth cover with gold-leaf title on cloth (a traditional style)

There are additional variations in the above types too, but I don't want to confuse anyone (especially me!) :D (Some of the options include a "mirror gloss" finish on the gloss cover, anti-scratch coating on the matte cover, etc.)

Keep in mind that with the number of books I'm ordering, the different additions to the cover are minimal in price and at any rate, will not add any cost to the recommended sales price of the book (no matter what the cover, I'm aiming for $49.99).

Please let me know what you think and what cover type would be most usable for YOU as a reference book.

Thanks!

Dave

I agree on matte cover, but would add a matte dust jacket as well.

Dave, As it is a somber topic, my choice would be for the matte cover (with image) with no dust jacket.

Dave, my vote would be for #3 - matte finish with no dust jacket. If people are bringing the book with them to shows and carrying it around as a reference in a backpack (the fact that its 6x9 is great for this), then I think the dust jacket would get ruined or ripped over time anyway. If a collector is just using it in their office or war room then that's a different story. I like the matte finish because I think it shows the cover art/photo better and makes it more natural looking. Just my opinion.

dave peifer

dave,i also like option #3 dust jackets tend to get ruined over time.if i carry a book i always remove the jacket............dave

Just a thought. I would do the cover to duplicate the presentation box,coffin style.Black leatherette with the embossed gold border and wording in the font originally used.No dust jacket. A card stock fitted box would be a nice touch with a slip fit lid.( like a Fanny May chocolate box)The cover and the box would give up their back sides for any descriptive printing.

Are you still planning to produce a smaller version to carry at shows that will help with identifications? The answer to that question may help drive us/you toward making the cover/ dust jacket decision.

Kyle

Are you still planning to produce a smaller version to carry at shows that will help with identifications? The answer to that question may help drive us/you toward making the cover/ dust jacket decision.

Kyle

Oh...good call...I had totally forgotten about that idea! At this point, no, I'm sticking with the one book and that will be that. Maybe when I retire and do Volume 2, and then combine the both into a smaller version. But I'm not (nor should anyone else) holding my breath for that. :):D

I personally like a dust cover....I also like the matte option too...so I'll go with option #5. If a cover is too pricey then option #3.

Thanks all - it looks like the overwhelming desire is for the matte finish. I'll see what I can do to get that in an anti-scratch coating as well.

I may also add on a gloss dust jacket...if you don't like it, you can remove it without guilt. :) The dust jacket adds 59 cents onto the manufacturing price of each book, so it's not a huge additional expense out of my pocket (and I like dust jackets) :D

I'll keep you posted as it moves forward!