1st Lt. Richard Theis Kimberl

Mark M

I recently purchased this set of uniforms to an officer who servered in both WW2 as a gunner in the AAF and also as an officer in the Korean War. I have sent for his records from the NARA but any additional information that can be provided would be greatly appreceiated.

Richard Theis Kimberl was born 19 Sept., 1925 in South Carolina. Enlisted in the AAF 13 Oct, 1943 at the age of 18. He was attached to the 8th AF, 34th Bomber group in England as a "Airplane Armorer/Gunner". He was discharged from the army on 20 Nov., 1945. Sadly none of his WW2 uniforms survived. Here is a copy of his seperation record:

post-569-1172857959.jpg

After his discharge Kimberl returned to South Carolina where he enrolled in the Citadel Military Academy. His area of study was civil engineering, and attended almost 4 full years before being commissioned in the initial build up of the army for the Korean War.

post-569-1172858456.jpgpost-569-1172858480.jpg

Notice he was classified as a "Veteran Student", meaning he did not have to participate in the plebe activities.

Kimberls first uniform as an officer. He was attached to the 41st Artillery Regiment, 3rd Infantry

post-569-1172858800.jpg

On April 6, 1951 the 41st AR was detached from the 3rd ID prompting a change of uniforms. I am assuming the regiment was transferred to the 8th Army as this is what is reflected on his next uniform.

post-569-1172859139.jpg

Final uniform is an Ike style uniform with all bullion SSI. He wears a minature aircrew member badge on his pocket flap.

post-569-1172859862.jpg

The uniform grouping also came with several of his final doucments before discharge, officers overseas cap, and about 80 "brownie" sized photos of his time in Korea.

post-569-1172860329.jpg

post-569-1172860339.jpg

post-569-1172860358.jpg

WoW x2!!!!

Great group and very nice combination (USAAF 8th AAF and 3rd Infantry and 8 Army)!!

Thank you for sharing!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

jeremiahcable

Nice uniforms! It's tough to find multiple uniforms with any sort of completness to a single vet any more. The thing I find most interesting about them is the ribbons he was wearing. Notice how they change with each uniform. In the last one there is no Good Conduct noted and he is wearing smaller wings. Neat set, thanks for sharing.

Jeremiah

This is a nice group. I was going to buy one of the uniforms, but i didn't want to break it all up. I'm glad you could keep it all together!

Nice Group

Pete

This is a nice group. I was going to buy one of the uniforms, but i didn't want to break it all up. I'm glad you could keep it all together!

Nice Group

Pete

Pete

I'm glad you didn't! I think the timing was everything - right before the SOS and he need some cash. He gave me a deal I couldn't pass up!

Mark

Pete

I'm glad you didn't! I think the timing was everything - right before the SOS and he need some cash. He gave me a deal I couldn't pass up!

Mark

Good to hear you got a good deal thumbsup.gif . You're right the timing was perfect. I was saving money for the SOS and didn't want to spend a bunch a couple weeks before the event!

Pete

• 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...

My father was Richard T Kimberl and he did not sell you his memorabilia. They were in my possession long after RTK died in 1996 until they were stolen by my younger brother on a visit in 2005 from my house. When I realized the items were missing and asked my brother, he told me he had taken them and would return the items.

My brother died (at age fifty) suddenly shortly afterwards but he did make a late confession that he had sold the ring and other things to a pawn shop in Prattville, AL. We tried to find them but with no luck. It is only by the Grace of God I found them here.

I would like to retrieve my father’s things which were stolen from me. My father has three grandsons who would treasure their Gan Gan’s memorabilia. I realize you must have paid my brother and I will compensate you. I am sick to my stomach just thinking about what my brother did. My father must be rolling over in his grave, he always kept his uniform in his closet and his memorabilia locked up.

I still have his machete and most importantly his WW2 book with the places his group bombed marked.

Also my father’s letters to and from my mother during the Korean conflict were taken along with my mother’s wedding ring. My brother had taken these too and told me about some of the letters’ contents.

Did my brother sell the letters to you also? My father kept these in his bedside table with a pink ribbon wrapped around them. I want the letters - both of my parents are dead and both of my brothers have died too. The ring? I even have the receipt for the ring my father bought in Charleston. My father kept everything!!

Please contact me. I will share with you other memorabilia and correct many of the errors in your account concerning my father. For example, he did NOT graduate from the Citadel- he was called up during the middle of his senior year and after the Korean conflict, graduated from API now known as Auburn University.

Thank you,

Susan Kimberl Bushnell

205-835-8108

Thank you so much! I am new here - just googled my father’s name plus Citadel and got this thread. So thankful!!

Do you know his name? I am limited on this site.

Thanks again

No ma'am dont know the original poster.Sorry Im not able to help.I know what its like to have family items missing.Sad but a common occurrence.

Sometimes notices are available to the poster via his email when topic is replied to or a moderator can make contact.Im sure a moderator or Admin may also offer advice or assistance.

Thank you! I found the member who has possession of my items and have posted to him. Hopefully he will understand and reply. I am shocked to have found them. But I never gave up looking!