Assistance: WWII Southern France Camo Bag?

Quest Master

Quest Master

I recently purchased this WWII General Purpose Bag from a junk picker in PA. The camouflage looks like it was period done, with the green barely visible anymore. This style of camouflage gear is very similar to those used in Southern France. It is marked inside Victory Canvas 1943. He also had a bunch of gear from a WWII Pacific AMTRAC - driver, but could not remember if this bag came with the other items.

Your thoughts on why/where it was done?

post-5775-0-47299900-1560375956.jpg

Kind of looks like spray can paint, especially that drip mark on the last photo. Which makes me think it isn't wartime.

Quest Master

Kind of looks like spray can paint, especially that drip mark on the last photo. Which makes me think it isn't wartime.

Actually, if you look at period wartime photos of the application of paint to uniforms and equipment, especially during the Southern France invasion, all of it was spray painted, and usually while the person was wearing it. A well-known group of photos shows paratroopers with uniforms and gear being worn with K-Ration boxes being put over their heads while the painter spray paints their uniforms and equipment.

Quest Master

My 2 pieces of cammo gear from Southern France have no black on them.

Yes, I agree. Most all of the Southern France painted uniforms and equipment are only two colors, which is why this GP bag is very odd having three.

Field camouflaged uniforms and equipment was done in other campaigns during the WWII - but was not very common.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Sorry I dont have experience with hand camo gear this early but I will say it makes me think of some 50s and 60s camo jobs I have seen on this forum. The photos of them spray sound interesting, would love to see them if at all possible.

Here are a couple threads with some similar camos:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/255811-self-made-camouflage/#

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/85971-erdl-ammo-pouches/

Quest Master

The black on the GP bag is almost like tar or British "Blanco", and the drips are very hard. Each of the "blobs" is roughly the same size, which makes me think it was applied with a brush, like "dabbing".

As for the USMC Pacific grouping, yes I bought it and can be seen here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/329279-usmc-wwii-pacific-grouping-iwo-jima-amtrac-crewmember/&do=findComment&comment=2646451