PROTECTING ID PAINT ON AMMUNITION TIPS?

bldrhouse

Just got some .50 cal BMG rounds and want to protect the ID paint on the tips so no more wears off.

How do I protect the tip paint without darkening or changing it?

Assume I should do the entire head of the round down to the brass case to make it all uniform, or just the painted part?

Odd that some of the projectiles are not fully seated even tho the round is unfired?

Thanks, z

post-212241-0-98331300-1560293716_thumb.jpg

Guess I have never heard of any method or anyone trying to preserve the tip paint but a couple thing come to mind when sealing something.

You could clear coat it with the spray you find at hobby shops...but being a chemical based spray like a laquer you may have a reaction to the paint if put on heavy.Spraying a ckear coat(both gloss or satin) you may have to almost dry sray it and let the layers build up.I have seen people clean trench art and after polishing it they clear coat it but never seen it used on tipped ammo

A wax/parafin may also seal it but may not give you the results you want

The product renassiance wax is a protectant and often has been mentioned on the forum.Its a thin micro crystaline wax made to coat all types of surfaces and a little goes a long ways.It wont harm the paint.Its recommended for most types of metals,wood,leather etc.If I was do do this I would use the renaissance wax.

Renaissance wax, hands down. I use it on all my ordnance. Do not use any varnish or clear coats, they all discolor over time and may even ruin the existing paint if it contains acetone or xylene which is common in modern quick dry coatings. As for the " double" cannelures, they are as designed. They are for identification, one can see and feel they are specialty loads. No rhyme or reason, the very first NATO 7.62x 51 (.308 ) by Remington had the same , as did some Match grade bullets.