25th infantry patch on winter coat.....????

bay.223

I have recently found a M1941 wool overcoat that has a 25th Infantry division patch on the shoulder...

I know that patches on the shoulder of a WWII overcoat is rare...I thought it was strange that it was on a winter overcoat..being that the 25th "Tropic Thunder" fought in the pacific durring WWII...was the (WWII era patch; cut out style) sewn on by someone who was clueless? or is it possible that someone in the 25th in WWII could have sewn it one durring WWII while issued the winter overcoat??

thanks for clarification.....

Brad

craig_pickrall

He might have been issued the overcoat at discharge. It may have been winter and he was going to a cold weather area.

Laury Allison

A soldier would have most likely been issued an overcoat during his or her basic training...regardless of what division or theater they would wind up in. I went in the Air Force in June with my basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas. Before we went to bed that first night, we got a field jacket...from a big pile of them on a table in the day room. Never wore it until I got to Germany. Also got an all weather coat issued later. Now had I gone to a warm weather assignment, I would still have had those uniform items.

Also, just because a soldier was assigned to the Pacific (or other warm weather area), would you expect them to freeze if their home was in a cold weather place and they went on leave or to home when their time in the service was up?

It is better to have something to keep you warm and not have to wear it than need something to keep you warm and not have it available. Ask any Marine or Soldier who was at the Chosin Resevoir in November 1950 in summer uniforms. My Uncle died there and was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart for his troubles. His body has never been brought back...so he is still laying up there in North Korea someplace without a (real) grave to call his own. He was in the 25th Infantry Division (27th Infantry Regiment - Wolfhounds). I'm sure he would have loved to have his overcoat at the time.

Laury

At the end of World War II, the 25th Infantry Division was sent to Japan for occupation duty where it stayed until being sent to Korea in 1950. It got very cold in some parts of Japan.

Okay thanks guys..

My great uncle was in the 25th Infantry Division 27th Infantry Regiment 'Wolfhounds' In WWII (41-46) so the coat I saw piqued my interest.

btw would it be correct if the patch is on the left shoulder about two inches down from the shoulder strap..

My buddy's brother in law has the coat i'm talking about and collects as well...and he wasn't sure about it....and it got me curious....

thanks

Brad

At the end of World War II, the 25th Infantry Division was sent to Japan for occupation duty where it stayed until being sent to Korea in 1950. It got very cold in some parts of Japan.

....and even colder in Korea during the war, where the 25th fought. Not everyone got a M-1951 overcoat (if there is such a critter).

The history of the 25th ID is easily googled. Anyone can use it.