Navy Steel Pot

RememberThe5thESB

RememberThe5thESB

Regardless of the meaning, it is a fine lid.

Thank you, I know it is and I'm proud to have it. Lucky too.

Also, recently having picked up some items from an auction lot prior to the purchase of the helmet, I acquired a lot of navy related books. Two specifically that I've been reading or somewhat skimming through to find anything that might relate to the SB. After reading through a 1940 edition of "Instructions for use in preparation for the rating of Seaman 1c". I know it isnt S2c, but I thought it might still be able to correlate.

I got one possibility from it, that being Second Bowman, a role that relates to a lifeboat crew, although I dont know there would be helmets at these kinds of stations (of course I might be wrong I dont know who on a ship would be wearing a helmet or where they would be stored or how they were stored.)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

How about Signal Bridge?

The Navy wore steel helmets below decks. Damage control parties were fitted with steel pots for many years and covered the entire ship.

Chris

Could also stand for Salvage Boat. That is one of the boats used in Amphibious Operations. It goes to the aid of stricken boats.

RememberThe5thESB

Could also stand for Salvage Boat. That is one of the boats used in Amphibious Operations. It goes to the aid of stricken boats.

Would those have any correlation to the USS Iowa or USS Twining though? A boat like that on a ship like a battleship or destroyer?

RememberThe5thESB

How about Signal Bridge?

The Navy wore steel helmets below decks. Damage control parties were fitted with steel pots for many years and covered the entire ship.

Chris

Not sure, if the man were a seaman second class would he even be able to be a signalman? Or is my understanding of the way ratings worked from reading those manuals strewn?

Thanks for the tidbit on the steel pots by the way!

Not sure, if the man were a seaman second class would he even be able to be a signalman? Or is my understanding of the way ratings worked from reading those manuals strewn? Yes, of course he could have been a Signalman Striker. Not buying Signal Bridge though. I was one for 26 years. I was trained by WW2 vets. Never heard of putting SB for Signal Bridge on a helmet. But, who knows. Its all just guessing and fantasy anyway. Just fun. Smokey Bottoms?

RememberThe5thESB

Not sure, if the man were a seaman second class would he even be able to be a signalman? Or is my understanding of the way ratings worked from reading those manuals strewn? Yes, of course he could have been a Signalman Striker. Not buying Signal Bridge though. I was one for 26 years. I was trained by WW2 vets. Never heard of putting SB for Signal Bridge on a helmet. But, who knows. Its all just guessing and fantasy anyway. Just fun. Smokey Bottoms?

Shakin' Bacon. I just have been trying to find everything out about this helmet, as much as I can. I appreciate all the help, sigsaye.

• 7 months later...
RememberThe5thESB

Bit of an older thread but I forgot to add a picture I found of the man. Still wondering about whether or not the pot is from his time on the Iowa or the Twining. Posted Image