WW2 dogtag from Bedford Va.

hink441

I have had this tag for a few years now and I know nothing about the individual. I guess he could be part of the "Bedford Boys" but I really don't know. He has a draftee serial number and I know a lot of the "Bedford Boys" came from the Va. NG units, so this man could have served anywhere. I am sure he knew the 116th Boys because Bedford was, and is, a small town. Can anyone shed some light on this man? Thanks for looking.

Chris

post-10825-0-14210500-1560088991_thumb.jpeg

That's a great tag :) I found him on findagrave but it doesn't have much service information. I did not see his name listed on the 29th morning reports or on Americandday.org. I have a few Bedford tags but none of them 29th.

Somewhere around here I have hard copies of some of my Bedford veteran research, I'll see if I can dig them out and find anything on him.

-Ryan

The moniker 'Bedford Boys' typically refers specifically to the 22 from Bedford who were killed in the Normandy campaign, not just everyone from Bedford. Bedford was the town during the invasion who experienced the most KIAs from their town, and it is not a large town. A list of the Bedford Boys is here...

http://www.tommymarkham.com/BedfordPictures/Bedford%20Boys%20List.htm

That's a great tag :) I found him on findagrave but it doesn't have much service information. I did not see his name listed on the 29th morning reports or on Americandday.org. I have a few Bedford tags but none of them 29th.

Somewhere around here I have hard copies of some of my Bedford veteran research, I'll see if I can dig them out and find anything on him.

-Ryan

Thank you for the help Ryan!

Thank you Brig for the Bedford Boys List!

Chris

Cool tag, Chris!

From his WWII Draft Card:

Edward Martin Karnes, white, age 22

born 27 Oct. 1919 Bedford VA

Draft Registration 1941 - Bedford VA

Employer: Rubatex Corp

Wt 150

Complexion Light

Eye Color Gray

Hair Color Brown

Height 5 11

And so more.... from Enlistment Records

Enlistment date 26 Oct. 1942, Roanoke

Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

Grade: Private

4 years High School

Height 70

Weight 150

• 5 months later...

Sorry this took so long. I've been trying to get out to the Bedford museum for a while now and finally got the chance today. This was the only thing I could find on Karnes. I had a list of 8 names and I didn't find anything new on any of them. I'm told that the courthouse probably has a lot more information, but of course they were closed today...

Hope this helps.

-Ryan

post-44370-0-21866500-1575048155_thumb.jpg

Thank you Ryan,

It really is great to have a picture of this soldier. Served in the Aleutian Islands for 19 months, great info!!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

The other scan is had some interesting information as well. It lists some ancestors of his who served in the War Between the States, one of which he lists as "Killed in Battle". Might be an interesting new research angle on your guy.

The courthouse had way more information on individual service members than the museum did. I got some great info on the other Bedford vets I was researching :)

Hope this helps,

-Ryan

EDIT: Yikes, resizing these made them un-readable. Will PM you higher-res images. -Ryan

post-44370-0-85755600-1576626083.jpg