zeeborg

Trying to Identify Brass (Shako?) Plate. Thoughts?

I recently picked this up at an estate.

A stamped brass plate about 9 1/4" long.

It has a large, prominent flower in the center with two eagles holding a banner that reads 'E Pluribus Unum'

It in fair condition, with some deterioration of the brass in spots.

I'm assuming it is military...but might be something else entirely?

I just cannot find one online that's like this.

Can anyone identify it and it's age? post-204072-0-25709600-1560088685_thumb.jpg

I don't know, but I immediately thought of South Carolina with that tree in the middle.

Chris

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Can you post a picture of the back? Are there any screw posts or wire loops for attachment?

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

To me, this looks like the back plate of a CW era drawer pull. If it were for a shako, I would expect a lot of curve to it and no holes on the edges.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Here are two pictures of the back. There is some curve to it.

I wasn't sure if the two holes on the ends could have been attachment points, but the dresser (or maybe trunk?) idea sounds plausible!

post-204072-0-33479400-1560105303_thumb.jpg

post-204072-0-51650100-1560105314_thumb.jpg

To me, this looks like the back plate of a CW era drawer pull. If it were for a shako, I would expect a lot of curve to it and no holes on the edges.

Allan

Agreed. I think this is either a drawer pull or similar type of decorative metal plate. A shako badge would have some method of attachment, most likely brass wire loops for an older one.

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

It seems a bit thick for a shako badge to me but I am far from knowledgeable about them.

David Turman

Semper Fi !

"Not as Lean, not as Mean, but still a Marine!"