KIA 16th Inf Regiment

This grouping is one of my treasures as it represents the great battle on D-Day on June 6th, 1944.

Arthur B. Buschlen was in the 1st Infantry Division, 16th Inf Regiment and lost his life on the beachhead that day. He was posthumously awarded the DSC and Purple Heart. He is buried near where he fell. On this day we remember him and those on both sides that died that during "The Longest Day".

G2

post-8930-0-37090600-1559797690.jpg

post-8930-0-89041400-1559797701.jpg

post-8930-0-85149400-1559797715.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

Home of Heroes provides this synopsis ( https://homeofheroes.com/distinguished-service-cross/world-war-ii-distinguished-service-cross-recipients/distinguished-service-cross-wwii-army-b/ ):

*BUSCHLEN, ARTHUR B. (KIA)
Synopsis:
The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross (Posthumously) to Arthur B. Buschlen (35011959), Sergeant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, in action against enemy forces on 6 June 1944, in France. Sergeant Buschlen's intrepid actions, personal bravery and zealous devotion to duty at the cost of his life, exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself, the 1st Infantry Division, and the United States Army.
Headquarters, First U.S. Army, General Orders No. 94 (1944)
Home Town: Lakewood, Ohio

You should be able to get a hold of GO No. 94 at the National Archives, or you may be able to find it here (which member Dave shared with me earlier this year when I was looking for an award authorization GO for another 1st ID soldier):

https://firstdivisionmuseum.nmtvault.com/jsp/searchresults.jsp

It takes some doing to search, but it's worth a shot. Good luck, and RIP Sgt. Buschlen.

Steve

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

In memory of S/Sgt. Paul Nigrini

ASN 13089327

380th BG / 528th BS

Beller's Crew - "The Black Widow"

MIA November 21, 1943

New Guinea

In doing a quick search of his last name, I didn't see a GO for the DSC, but there is a GO for a bronze star award for action in Tunisia, as found here:

https://firstdivisionmuseum.nmtvault.com/jsp/viewer.jsp?doc_id=iwfd0000%2F20141124%2F00000159&query1=&recoffset=0&collection_filter=All&collection_name=5d51b39f-52d3-4177-b65e-30b812011812&sort_col=relevance&cnt=0&CurSearchNum=7&recOffset=0

post-128862-0-84896200-1560188516_thumb.jpg

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

In memory of S/Sgt. Paul Nigrini

ASN 13089327

380th BG / 528th BS

Beller's Crew - "The Black Widow"

MIA November 21, 1943

New Guinea

Wow... a D-Day posthumous DSC...that's darn impressive!

Any chance for closeups of engraving on the DSC and BSM?

With a "B" last name, his service record may still be around. Have you requested it? If it's there, it may have the eyewitness statements for the award which should be astounding.

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I just spoke to my buddy, "Harley Reynolds" who landed first wave with B-Company 16th Infantry.  He was one of the first that landed on the left-hand side of Ruquet Draw, across from WN65 and made his way up into the "now" Omaha Beach Cemetery.  It was an apple orchard on 6 June 1944.  This was Harley's 3rd first-wave invasion.  And helped him with his book, "How I Survided 3 First Wave Invasions".  North Africa, Sicily and D-Day.  He's now in lock-down at an assisted living place.  He's being released on Thursday.  He had returned from getting medical attention a bit late and this was his punishment.  I asked if he had to bang his canteen cup up against the bars to get the guard's attention?  He told me it was bad, but not quite that bad!  And he get's to choose from the menu.  I told him he need's some Calvados from Normandie.  That would cure him, as he and I have drank a bit of it before in Normandy.  I had to break him out of a hotel near the cemetery, several years ago.  A Paris Policeman had written a book on Omaha Beach and brought 4 members of 29th and 1st Division over and taking them around.  Harley called me and asked if I could help him escape as he and the others were confined to their hotel rooms.  I met him after he climbed out of his window.  We went down to my friend's restaurant at St Laurent (D-3) draw.  D-Day House is on the left sid from the beach in front of where the unfinished position WN66 was located.  We did some Calvados and I got him back before Major Laurent Lefebre noticed he escaped!  

Tim

www.ww2dday.com  .  Go to the PhotoGallery and see the pic of Harley pointing at the map at the exact spot he went up the bluff at.