WWI helmet opinions, help needed.

M24 Chaffee

M24 Chaffee

Hello,

I found this WWI helmet today at an antique mall. I mainly collect WWII and I have a WWI example in my collection and wasnt looking to add another but because of the named intact liner this got my attention. I wanted to think about it and maybe get a few knowledgeable members to advise if I should make a purchase or not. The helmet was $65 and there were US Army .08 WWI binoculars being offered at $55. He also offered to sell the helmet, binoculars and a German M17 helmet shell (no liner and not much paint left) for $175. Ill put photos of the binoculars in the appropriate forum. The antique mall is close to me and it would be easy to return and purchase it. I havent researched the name on the helmet yet. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated. Captain J.K. Fornance. A quick search had that name associated with the 82nd division? The liner looked like it was in better condition than the shell. Ill include about 5 photos. Thanks for looking and any comments!

Regards,

Frank

post-2899-0-96267400-1560031139_thumb.jpeg

post-2899-0-26359500-1560031153_thumb.jpeg

M24 Chaffee

Ill include photos of the binoculars here also. Thanks for checking these out!

post-2899-0-99434800-1560031540_thumb.jpeg

post-2899-0-60928000-1560031555_thumb.jpeg

skypilot6670

The helmet and glasses look a bargain to me ,but I do Civil War I.D. Disc and Corps Badges so take my advise with a grain of salt. Still it would look great in a display and research may make it a gem. Good luck Mike

The two helmets should be worth at least $100/each....The German potentially way more to the right person....Agree, you should pull the trigger.....Bodes

Check out his PA state bonus application, it has all of his assignments. Id definitely buy that set.

M24 Chaffee

Thanks to all for your comments! It’s much appreciated! I picked up the US, named helmet today. When I called them he said he made a mistake with the “all three items” price he gave me. He may have been confused because there were a couple of other military items in the same small area and he said he didn’t mean the WWI German helmet shell. Although, I was looking at the German helmet when he said “all three”. He was talking a lot and trying to get me interested in more items. Or, more likely his partner made him reconsider that deal. It doesn’t matter as I was only really interested in the US helmet because I thought he had a nice price on that. The antique mall took off an additional 10%.

I would have been interested in the 3 items for $175 if that was what he meant. He didn’t have a price tag on the German helmet shell yesterday and now he has an asking price of $299 on it! It’s just a plain shell, no liner, hardly any paint on it but it still had the original split pins. Plus, for whatever reason he scotch taped the price tag AND the leather strap of the binoculars with about 8 pieces of tape across the top of the German helmet! I told him I hope he’ll be happy with whatever he sells the helmet for but politely suggested he carefully remove the tape from everything.

Thanks again!

Frank