Beer Stein Find B/330th FA BN

Fred Borgmann

I found this beer stein in a church resale shop. It is in the style of the old German military steins accept that this one is post WWII American, 330th Field Artillery, Battery B. It pictures an American cannon in action, the Ulm Cathedral and the unit crest with a Pvt's name. Can anyone here give me an idea as to age, rarity and value? Thanks, Fred

post-591-0-82045700-1559943894_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-76709700-1559943918.jpg

The Meatcan

Fred, my dad was in 330th FAB 1953-55 so your stein is least that old. I think the 330th FAB was rolled into some other FAB by the late 1950s (but I could be wrong on that!) Pretty sure the unit moved to Ulm around 1954 or so.

No idea on value of your stein but given the relatively small size of the unit and it’s short history, it’s probably worth something.

Very cool find!

Terry

mars&thunder

Given the elaborate cap and earlier era (pre-60's?), the stein is probably a $150 item to a hardcore stein collector if whole. I would expect to see some sort of thumb tab associated with the lion figural to make opening the stein easier - does it look like an extension has broken off from behind the lion? Damage of that sort would lower the price. The most expensive steins would be from a bit earlier than this and have campaign credits as part of the decals.

Fred Borgmann

Thanks m&t, nothing is missing or broken off though the cannon looks a bit off center. Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Most of these date from the 1950s- 60s. Not sure if they were souvenirs or unit presentation pieces.

The unit will drive values. I'd think that this one would top out in the $75- $100 range.

Scott

The piece appears to be an 8" self-propelled gun carriage which makes some sense since artillery units were based in Ulm. What's surprising about this krug (it's not a "stein") is that it's named to an enlisted man, they're almost always named to an officer. Is there a lithopane in the bottom?

Fred Borgmann

The piece appears to be an 8" self-propelled gun carriage which makes some sense since artillery units were based in Ulm. What's surprising about this krug (it's not a "stein") is that it's named to an enlisted man, they're almost always named to an officer. Is there a lithopane in the bottom?

Yes there is, a good looking nude gal seated with her legs crossed.