Helmet Markings Real?

Pops369

I would like to see the whole helmet. Thanks for the close up pictures but pictures of the straps,loops and over all look would better help with an assessment. I would not hold out hope as a major general marked 29th would be very rare.

Marty

In WW2, the only MG in the whole 29th ID was the division commander (Maj. Gen. Leonard T. Gerow until 22 July 1943, succeeded by Maj. Gen. Charles H. Gerhardt). That would make the original helmet extremely rare.

The Rooster

Yea i was looking and when I saw the two stars I said BOGUS !!!

And on a scale from 1-10 and 10 being expert... my skill level is 1.5.

A MG generals helmet would be in a museum somewhere I would imagine or with family etc etc etc

And Matt S comment nails it.

My guess is that the real deal would have his name written in it in several spots.

And there would be provenance for something like that?

Major General Gerhardt on D-Day. Both helmets have two stars and a 29th Div insignia but they are not the same. Could he have gotten another helmet later? Sure. But a real one like this would still be super rare and super valuable. Like trenchfoot said, it would be too good to be true.

post-2064-0-28047100-1559940174_thumb.jpg

Tom

Easy_Green.

He made a few thousand painted helmets. Thankfully his all look identical and are easy to spot. He mostly made high ranking helmets as well.

A MG generals helmet would be in a museum somewhere I would imagine

Museums usually use reproduction items to fill holes in display. Usually painted helmets are missing links and some nice museums actually use pretty bad reproductions to fill those gaps. The general public is non the wiser.

Some of the better unit marked helmets are actually in private collections.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Museums usually use reproduction items to fill holes in display. Usually painted helmets are missing links and some nice museums actually use pretty bad reproductions to fill those gaps. The general public is non the wiser.

Some of the better unit marked helmets are actually in private collections.

Even the national infantry museum has a fake ranger diamond helmet on display. They have a real ranger helmet too, but no diamond on it.

CNY Militaria

A MG generals helmet would be in a museum somewhere I would imagine or with family etc etc etc

?

I wouldn't base an assessment on that logic alone. I have a named WWII MG helmet currently on my shelf. The last of four real named Major General Helmets I have owned in the past two years, and I am neither a museum or family. That being said, Im not a fan of the one posted earlier.

Price alone should tell you something, if legit this helmet would be worth 3-4x as much

He priced it as a reproduction as he should, I would like to have seen some reference to the dubious nature of the added markings somewhere in the description for full disclosure.