27th Division soldier with 3.5 years overseas

HelmetguyCT

HelmetguyCT

He has a lot of campaigns on his ribbons and I think even a Purple Heart? I would love to find out who he is

He has 2 Asiatic pacific ribbons and the Philippines liberation, the 27th Infantry Division never saw combat in the Philippines.

Think he has an American defense with one star

That's what I thought too but further looking makes it appear to be an Asiatic Pacific with one star and maybe an ETO with three stars? The American Defense is before the one with three campaign stars and appears to have no stars at all. Interesting mixed bag...

Having no eye for detail in a picture like this, the fact that you folks can determine the ribbons he is wearing is nothing less than amazing!

Mikie

Dad served in the 27th from 1940 to 46. He started and ended the war as a corporal. He mentioned once that he got busted to private sometime in between, but would never tell why. When asked, he just smiled. There's a story there but I'll never know what it is.

3.5 years and still a private? There is more to this picture.

You guys have to remember that promotions were NOT automatic in WWII and before and that it is VERY common to find a lot of soldiers who served for long periods of time that never rose above the rank of private, let alone PFC. There are any number of reasons why a guy wouldn't have been promoted. He could have been illiterate (most WWII soldiers had less than an 8th grade education and many soldiers from rural areas had much less). He could have also not been deemed to be capable tof leading soldiers in combat.

Ranks were also given by unit. Transfer from one unit to another would keep a soldier for keeping his old rank.

Allan

HelmetguyCT

After looking at it closer the bottom bar with the star has a bunch of other lines; supply ribbon next to victory ribbon. He is also wearing a driver or mechanic badge too

He was probably a member of the 108th Infantry Regiment which was initially part of the 27th Division and would explain the American Defense Service medal. They were part of the federalization in 1940 and when the 27th was alerted for the Pacific the 108th was assigned to the 40th Division which fought in the Philippines. When the war ended many of the veterans rejoined the 27th as it returned to be the NY National Guard. I have a uniform from the 27th that the vet gave me - 4 yrs worth of overseas bars and he was a Private as well. I have the newspaper clippings stating he was one of thirteen original L Co 105th to make it through the entire war.