Corporal CARL. USMC War Dog. Took part in Iwo Jima invasion

Eric Queen

Eric Queen

Recently a friend of mine (thanks Bob) found these for me. Original donation and discharge documents for a Marine War Dog named Carl. Carl was donated to the Marines by a young girl who lived not far from me (Santa Clara county) and he served with the 6th USMC War Dog Platoon. He took part in the invasion of Iwo Jima from the first day, FEB 19, 1945.

I thought some people may find his history interesting so I decided to post it here.

First the donation certificate signed by the head of the war dog training center, Capt. Jackson Boyd

Carl b.jpg

Eric Queen

Miss Nunes requesting that Carl be returned to her (document signed by her father)

Carl 3.jpg

Eric Queen

And finally, Carl's discharge document. Thank you for your service Carl.

Carl a.jpg

vintageproductions

Have to say in all the years I have been on the USMF, this is by far one of the coolest groups I have seen.

Have came back three or four times to look at it again.

BILL THE PATCH

Simply amazing, so glad the original owner got him back.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

crotalus358

Eric,

Another top-notch war dog grouping - thank you for sharing!!

Steve

Eric,

Bob is a great guy to help you or any other collector that is looking for rare pieces and groups. I know how much you have to be enjoying this. I'm thrilled to get to see the outstanding items from your collection. Thank you for sharing them.

Now I am going to throw down the gauntlet- I want you to find a war dog with a dishonorable discharge! :lol: What would get a dog a dishonorable discharge? Drunk on duty? Failure to lift right paw in a salute to a superior officer?

You know I am just kidding. Congrats on your great find there.

Allan

Eric Queen

Thanks to all who have commented. Happy that some of you enjoyed seeing this little grouping. Looking forward to the next one :)

You know Allan, honestly, I was thinking the same thing. What would it take for a dog to get a dishonorable discharge? I would have thought for sure LADY (the last USMC war dog grouping I posted) would have gotten a dishonorable discharge (for running away just before the unit left for Bougainville) but she didn't. She also got an honorable discharge with "excellent" character. Perhaps they could not overlook how smart she was (to run away from camp just before they deployed and come back right after they left....)

Thanks again

That's awesome...the dog saw a lot of action and returned to his owner.

Now you need to find Nadine and learn the rest of the story!