Unique Massachusetts Volunteer Naval Militia Pistol Sharpshooter medal

MMcollector

MMcollector

I have only seen 1 picture on the OMSA website thats hosted on pinterest of a similar Pistol Sharpshooter Medal. I have a rifle 2nd class I will follow up with as well. These seem to be fairly far and few between, does anyone else own one of these Mass. Vol. Naval Militia medals? Please post yours! Thanks for looking.

post-134470-0-67197000-1559851371_thumb.jpeg

Badge issued to State Volunteer Militia Sailors for Rifle & Pistol efficiency during the early years of the 20th Century.

As the Navy began to grow in the 1880s and early 1890s, there were repeated calls to establish and train a national naval reserve. But for a variety of reasons, both fiscal and philosophical, Congress voted down every proposal. Concerned and believing that in time of war the Navy would require trained fighting men to serve, a number of Navy veterans joined by a lesser number of non-veteran volunteers formed autonomous state naval militias.

Beginning with the Massachusetts Naval Militia, founded in 1888, coastal states and those with access to major waterways founded naval adjuncts to their state militias and National Guards. Throughout the 1890s, the naval militia movement grew, generally driven by the enthusiasm of popular local commanders with funding from state legislatures.

Under Assistant Secretary of the Navy Theodore Roosevelt, the Naval War Board selected only the most developed state militias to serve together as a unit. Those rated the best: New York, Massachusetts, and Michigan, were assigned blue-ocean fighting vessels captained by regular Naval officers. The newer and less efficient militias manned coastal monitors or were assigned to the Coast Signal Service and given command of signal stations.

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, gunnertwo said:

All the examples I've seen were made by the Hayes Bros company. Here's a crappy pic of my examples.

G2

IMG_0537.jpg

Nice collection.

Does anyone know the significance between the gilt examples and the bronze finish ones. Officer vs. enlisted??

12 hours ago, gunnertwo said:

All the examples I've seen were made by the Hayes Bros company. Here's a crappy pic of my examples.

G2

IMG_0537.jpg

Great now I'm gonna have to collect the gold one's. Just when I think I'm satisfied a wrench get's thrown into the mix. :-)

I have a journal that I published in 2017 that has the history of the Massachusetts Naval Militia from 1890-1920. Dozens of full color photos of medals with descriptions. I have posted info on this under another topic subject (Massachusetts Naval Militia). If I can answer your questions on a particular item just ask and I will do my best.

3 hours ago, mrgsmvm said:

I have a journal that I published in 2017 that has the history of the Massachusetts Naval Militia from 1890-1920. Dozens of full color photos of medals with descriptions. I have posted info on this under another topic subject (Massachusetts Naval Militia). If I can answer your questions on a particular item just ask and I will do my best.

I wonder if there was a Bronze Sharpshooter (pistol) or were they all gold?

Hello aactionjim;

NOTE: Very short history of these awards

Prior to 1909 the Massachusetts Naval Brigade, as it was then called, utilized the Standard Awards of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia. The Awards of the Massachusetts Naval Brigade/Militia were Standardized in 1909 then in 1915 the issuing of U. S. Navy awards to the Massachusetts Naval Brigade/Militia began.

No Bronze Sharpshooter medals were issued only Gold Sharpshooter medals were issued.

John J. Gisetto Sr.

1419424353_DSC_0434(2).JPG.41983cd23bf82d6a73341193f1ee3b68.JPG

3 hours ago, mrgsmvm said:

Hello aactionjim;

Prior to 1909 the Massachusetts Naval Brigade, as it was then called, utilized the Standard Awards of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia. The Awards of the Massachusetts Naval Brigade/Militia were Standardized in 1909 then in 1915 the issuing of U. S. Navy awards to the Massachusetts Naval Brigade/Militia began.

No Bronze Sharpshooter medals were issued only Gold Sharpshooter medals were issued.

John J. Gisetto Sr.

That is great info. The expert was stamped and I wonder how many years they did that? That must have been rare because all the others I've seen so far were engraved. 

19 minutes ago, aactionjim said:

That is great info. The expert was stamped and I wonder how many years they did that? That must have been rare because all the others I've seen so far were engraved. 

All Bars that were added for additional years were stamped, as shown, by the medal manufacturer. If you have seen the medal Type above with an engraved bar that is very odd. If you have a medal like that I would love to see a photo of it.

John

14 minutes ago, mrgsmvm said:

All Bars that were added for additional years were stamped, as shown, by the medal manufacturer. If you have seen the medal Type above with an engraved bar that is very odd. If you have a medal like that I would love to see a photo of it.

John

I don't but now I'm on the hunt. If I run across any I will be sure to let you know,

On 1/3/2021 at 2:55 PM, aactionjim said:

I was wondering if there were any other states that had Naval Reserve badges/Medals. Not Army but Navy.

Here are some shooting badges from Naval Militia New York and Connecticut. I have others but keeping with the subject just showing the shooting related ones.

1914 2nd Division Obverse.jpg

obverse.jpg

New York Naval Militia Medal (2).jpg

Obverse.jpg

NYNM Marksman Badges.jpg

NY Small Arms Practice Badge Type III USN 1898 Gilt Finish Obverse.jpg

Obverse.jpg

13 hours ago, mrgsmvm said:

Hello aactionjim;

John J. Gisetto Sr.

Is that in your collection?

17 hours ago, Mustang.CDR said:

Here are some shooting badges from Naval Militia New York and Connecticut. I have others but keeping with the subject just showing the shooting related ones.

1914 2nd Division Obverse.jpg

obverse.jpg

New York Naval Militia Medal (2).jpg

Obverse.jpg

NYNM Marksman Badges.jpg

NY Small Arms Practice Badge Type III USN 1898 Gilt Finish Obverse.jpg

Obverse.jpg

Excellent group of Naval Militia awards!!!

My Naval Militia are strictly Massachusetts but I will post a few that are in my collection within a few days.

John J. Gisetto Sr.

On 1/3/2021 at 3:33 PM, gunnertwo said:

I've seen Colt DA revolvers marked "NJNM" for New Jersey Naval Militia. I've never seen any Marksman's badges though.

G2

I believe there were Marksmanship badges for the New Jersey Naval Militia. They also might have transitioned over to U. S. Naval awards like other Naval Militias did after 1915. Not sure about this info but it could very well be. I know that the Massachusetts Naval Militia transitioned over and that was 1915.

John J. Gisetto Sr.

• 3 months later...
MMcollector
On 1/3/2021 at 1:28 PM, mrgsmvm said:

John, I would love to view your journal and use (with credit) some of your information in a Naval sharpshooter book I am working on.  Please send me an email: [email protected] or message me on the forum. 

thanks,

Clinton