Omaha Beach - Easy Red diorama in progress

GITom1944

A few years back my friend Wayne and I decided we'd start a diorama project together. What started out as an excuse to get together through the winter has turned into a multi-year project. Because this is in 1/72nd scale we both became dependent on Optivisors. Anyway, here's some photos of our tribute to the young men who landed in Normandy 75 years ago.

post-2064-0-41030700-1559780965_thumb.jpg

Here are 2 Airfix LCVPs. Wayne did all the work on these.

Tom

The Gap Assault Teams were carried across the channel in LCMs. Rubber boats on board were loaded with their demo gear. The LCM is by Dragon.

post-2064-0-10676900-1559781189_thumb.jpg

Tom

I scratch built two LCRL's and demo boxes. Wayne was the painter. They probably should have been the smaller LCRS type.

post-2064-0-65502400-1559781599_thumb.jpg

Tom

I built the two M4A1 Shermans using a hodge podge of Dragon, Trumpeter, aftermarket and scratchbuilt parts. Wayne painted them, I decaled them. They still need some work, including a clear flat coat. I also scratch built the M8 armored trailers.

post-2064-0-36962100-1559781715_thumb.jpg

Tom

The log obstacles were made from Italeri telephone poles. The hedgehogs are 3D printed items from HOLDEN8702 on Shapeways.

post-2064-0-80204100-1559782037_thumb.jpg

Tom

Here's some of the boat crewmen. They were made by various manufacturers. Again, Wayne was the painter.

post-2064-0-53539500-1559782132_thumb.jpg

Tom

And a few of the Army figures. The medics are by Caesar Miniatures. There are many more figs. in the works. They'll be a combination of Caesar, Shapeways, and scratchbuilt components.

post-2064-0-25990300-1559782332_thumb.jpg

Tom

Thanks, Patches.

And here are the rear wading stacks, waiting for final assembly.

post-2064-0-29434500-1559786272_thumb.jpg

Tom

I'll be watching this thread. Looking forward to seeing this dio come to fruition.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 4 years later...
isaiaygrat27

Whatever happened to this, it was really good. I can't wait to see how it ended, I'm sure it looked absolutely amazing!

• 1 month later...

Whatever happened to this

Well, I still have all the pieces. Wayne and I both ran out of steam on this. It was pretty ambitious, with lots of scratch-building and modifying in a small scale... I did the research. Wayne built the landing craft, I did the tanks and trailers. I am an OK painter, but Wayne was much better. He did all the painting. I did the decalling on the Shermans and trailers. Doing some additional research, I think the Shermans should be welded hull M4s, not cast hull M4A1s. One of these days, I'll take another stab at it. Unfortunately, it will be a solo act.

Wayne died last year. He was a talented modeler, a proud USMC combat veteran, and a great friend. I miss him. From his obit: "In the Fall of 1966, Wayne enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. After completing boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina, he proudly served his country in Vietnam. Wayne fought in the battle of Khe Sanh during the Tet Offensive February 1968. After 3 years of dedicated service, Wayne sustained injuries and was medivaced home in the winter of 1969."

This is Wayne talking about his service as a Marine, Vietnam Veteran. CCSU Veterans History Project - YouTube.

Tom

Sorry to hear about Wayne.  I know its hard but you may want to look for another modeler to partner with to finish this.   I think that is what he would have wanted.

My condolences, that must've been hard on you. I am grateful for men like him who proudly serve this country, however flawed it may be at the time.

My deepest condolences. To Wayne, I say Semper Fidelis, Oooohrahhh! and to St. Peter; "Another Marine, reporting 'sir'!"

REST IN PEACE, LEATHERNECK!

Semper Fi.

Manny