M1 Helmet, Fixed bail, No Heat Stamp, Interesting Shape

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

I picked this up a couple weeks ago and just now got around to looking at it. Mint front seam and fixed bail M1 helmet. There is not a heat stamp on the inside. When I put a standard high pressure liner inside, it seems to small as there is a lot of metal shell around the outside edge. Just wondering if this is anything special or different.

post-2578-0-81872700-1559712277.jpg

post-2578-0-07081200-1559712288.jpg

An original front seam fixed bail Schulter that hasn't been reworked or beat on is a good find. As I recall, they switched to swivels pretty soon after manufacturing started so the fixed bail ones are not often encountered. It should have a S stamped inside?

Austin_Militaria

There is no S stamp or number. I have looked at every square inch of the inside with a magnifying glass.

There is no S stamp or number. I have looked at every square inch of the inside with a magnifying glass.

The fixed loops are definitely Schlueter. This could be one in which the stamp was not applied. I assume you probably looked by the loops to see if the 'S' was there but, for those who don't know this, Schlueters are often stamped in odd spots.

I've had some helmets that were near impossible to see any stampings. It could be lightly stamped and when it was painted, it all but disappeared. Most of the time I've found the light marked ones by shining a flashlight on a angle before I could see any faint marks.

Nice lid!

Andrew

The Rooster

I usually see the Big S under the heat stamp number out onto the brim somewhat.

Someone on here, also said Schlueters have little circles for crimp welds at the seam vs McCords where the crimps are Oval.

Every Schlueter Ive seen has little circle crimp welds at the seam.