"Back it up Mack, Atomic Annie's in Town"

superchief

superchief

P.K.

In answer to your question regarding the paint on "Atomic Annie" I airbrushed it with Model Master "Field Drab", #30118. But I also shaded it with some Testors "olive drab". It doesn't show in the photos but I actually weathered the model with some flat white and flat tan to simulate road dust on the under carriage. I was informed by a veteran that crewed one of the cannons that the guns( and tractors) were kept in pristine condition when they were not in the field on maneuvers. It was suggested not to "over do it" with weathering as the actual units were not allowed to look dirty or unkempt.

The VW I built was all white plastic, no chrome, and poorly fitting plastic windows. I replaced the "modern" plastic wheels and tires with vinyl tires and metal wheels from my junk parts box. The tires look more like the old bias ply tires from the 1950's I think with the heavy side tread. I remembering I built a Revell Porsche in the early 1960's and I believe it was 1:25 scale, perhaps the VW was the same scale. As far as making the "Bug" interesting just add a bunch of hippies with the car painted in "flower power" flying down the road and you have a story...

post-162620-0-82912200-1560092524_thumb.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks very much for these additional informations, SC! These color-combo looks super realistic. Last question (for now): I worked with Vallejo and Tamiya paintbrush colors mainly. Which thinner do you use for the Model Master colors when airbrushing these?

P.K.

I use the Testors "Universal Enamel Thinner", the stuff in the red label can when thinning paint for air brushing. I've used other commercial thinners but my opinion is stick with one line of paints, Testors Model Master seems to be a good product for my builds. I've used Tamiya "rattle can" spray paint, for some models, I feel it's better than Testor's rattle can spray. The Tamiya spray paint is expensive but I use it on car models as it has a finer "grain" and is more like airbrushing. Tamiya's brush paint is pretty good, I never tried to air brush a model with it, though. The VW in the diorama was painted with Tamiya blue spray.

Proud Kraut

P.K.

I use the Testors "Universal Enamel Thinner", the stuff in the red label can when thinning paint for air brushing. I've used other commercial thinners but my opinion is stick with one line of paints, Testors Model Master seems to be a good product for my builds. I've used Tamiya "rattle can" spray paint, for some models, I feel it's better than Testor's rattle can spray. The Tamiya spray paint is expensive but I use it on car models as it has a finer "grain" and is more like airbrushing. Tamiya's brush paint is pretty good, I never tried to air brush a model with it, though. The VW in the diorama was painted with Tamiya blue spray.

Thank you, SC. I will try Testor as well.