US SOLDIERS WEARING KILTS

Does anyone have a WWI photo of Doughboys wearing kilts? I just ran across this passage in a local county history and thought it would be interesting to see if there were any examples out there.

"Dear Mother;

Edinburgh, Scotland, December 22, 1918.
Am leaving here for Liverpool tomorrow after a week spent in the picturesque highlands of Scotland. Leaving Liverpool on Monday, we took the train for Aberdeen, arriving there at 2 p. m. Tuesday after a rail journey of thirteen hours. We stopped Tuesday night at the Waverly Hotel and saw a good show at the Tivoli theater. Wednesday we went out to see the town. First, we visited the Bridge of Balgownie, built in the year 800. It's still in good condition and is interesting chiefly from the fact that Robert Bruce led his army across it to the battle of Culloden. In a little stone hut at the foot of the bridge was a photographer's shop. Here we stopped and had our pictures taken in kilts, the one we wore being the dress uniform of the Gordon Highlanders. Will send you one of them when I get back. "

YES! I just saw one of those photos pop up here on the forum and wondered the back story. Let me see if I can find where it was posted!

Edit, was on the FB page. Photo is on a German style RPPC, so possible that it's a reprint this officer had made while in the Army of Occupation.

post-5941-0-70041400-1559668935_thumb.jpg

YES! I just saw one of those photos pop up here on the forum and wondered the back story. Let me see if I can find where it was posted!

Edit, was on the FB page. Photo is on a German style RPPC, so possible that it's a reprint this officer had made while in the Army of Occupation.

attachicon.gif2019-06-04_12-20-52.jpg

Thanks! I thought I remembered seeing one also.

This practice carried over in to WWII.... From the photo album of 1LT Charles Bowser who served in the 501st PIR

post-110-0-54229100-1559683185_thumb.jpg