Marine Corps WW2 "Swooping R" Style Engraving Question

Dave

All:

I'm doing a data call of "Swooping R" style engraving on WW2 Marine Corps Purple Hearts. I've done a screenshot of the one from the thread started a couple weeks ago by Austin Militaria in this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/327511-named-wwii-usmc-purple-heart/

So far, what I've seen is that these have been awarded to casualties in May/June 1945 - and so far, all for Okinawa that I can tell. Before making generalizations, I'd love to find out if any of them were awarded prior to May 1945 or not. I have a feeling that's the case, but no data to back it up.

Does anyone have any other "Swooping R" style Purple Hearts? If so, can you post when they were earned?

Thanks!

Dave

Screenshot_5.jpg

As you know, the Navy and Marine Corps hired a very limited number of engravers and you can usually lump medals into a hand who engraved them. For awhile I was keeping a folder of the different engravers, and over a 20 year period pre-dating WWII it was somewhere between 6 and 10 I noticed. Have you been able to find employment records through the archives? If you see a newer engraver around that period, it may help answer your question.

As you know, the Navy and Marine Corps hired a very limited number of engravers and you can usually lump medals into a hand who engraved them. For awhile I was keeping a folder of the different engravers, and over a 20 year period pre-dating WWII it was somewhere between 6 and 10 I noticed. Have you been able to find employment records through the archives? If you see a newer engraver around that period, it may help answer your question.

Man...I wish I had that info! I do have the research that a fellow collector did over the span of about thirty years, but he was never able to find any employment documentation either retained by the Navy or at the National Archives.

Dave,

Here is a "Swooping R and K". KIA 14 May 1945 on Okinawa during the assault on Dakeshi Ridge. He was a member of the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division.

Sorry I couldn't get the pic to stay rotated.

post-114166-0-24154600-1559671217.jpg

Different hand. The USMC hearts with swooping R's have the top of the letter kind of dipping

Here is mine.

C.O.NROY, Robert Albert, 549165, CoA, 1stBn, 9thMar, 3rdMarDiv, FMF, KIA: February 27, 1945

Don't have my records with me at the office....

Gary B

post-6817-0-61479900-1559743278_thumb.jpg

post-6817-0-85062900-1559743395.jpg

• 2 years later...

Private Bobby Ray Holman.

Corpus Christi, Texas

Co. I , 3rd Battalion, 22nd Marines, 6th Marine Division

Killed in action, 20 May, 1945, Sugar Loaf Hill,  Okinawa Shima

IMG_20210629_224127722.jpg

IMG_20210629_224245260_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210629_224518913_HDR.jpg