Captured marine on iwo jima and tortured and killed ,very sad

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Here is a Marine named Ralph Ignatowski from Milwaukee Wisconson That was captured and tortured by the Japanese on Iwo Jima March 3rd 1945 . Very Sad. A Must to watch

Nick

Kurt Barickman

Isn´t that the Marine mentioned and this described in Flag of our Fathers?

\

Kurt

The film narrator needs to learn how to pronounce Corpsman and Illinois correctly.

That was my thought also, very annoying.

Rakkasan187

I'm glad some else picked up on the pronunciation of CORPSE-MEN and ILL-IN-NOISE,, (I know these are misspelled) But they are pronounced this way in the narration...

Leigh

I'm glad some else picked up on the pronunciation of CORPSE-MEN and ILL-IN-NOISE,, (I know these are misspelled) But they are pronounced this way in the narration...

Leigh

+1....

THis story is mentioned in various books about Iow.Also the photographer Bill Genaust disappeared in a cave and it was sealed shut.Efforts to locate him even in the last few years have been unsuccessful

The film narrator needs to learn how to pronounce Corpsman and Illinois correctly.

Well I see I wasn't the only one annoyed by that...

+1....

THis story is mentioned in various books about Iow.Also the photographer Bill Genaust disappeared in a cave and it was sealed shut.Efforts to locate him even in the last few years have been unsuccessful

Wow, I did not know this!

Blacksmith

The Smithsonian Channel did a documentary on Bill Genaust, called Shooting Iwo Jima. It is fantastic, if you can find it.

Kurt Barickman

Genaust was from Minneapolis and his wife was from Bricelyn MN. Local connections.

Kurt

The Smithsonian Channel did a documentary on Bill Genaust, called Shooting Iwo Jima. It is fantastic, if you can find it.

was not aware of this. Thanks for posting. I have found it online and it is fantastic.

dave

The Island of Kwajalein was known as "Exacution Island".If you were captured and sent there more likely than not you were not going to be transferred to a POW Camp in the PI or Japan.THe Marine Raiders who were captured from the Makin Raid were killed/beheaded there.Most are unaware of the Islands history unless you have read the book by Zamperinior seen the folm.

https://ww2-pacific.com/allard-robert-vincent/

There were a 100 P0Ws also executed on Wake Island in August of 1943.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/japanese-execute-nearly-100-american-prisoners-on-wake-island

Many of the POWs as we know didn't fare any better after Bataan and Corregidor fell.

• 5 months later...

A number of years ago when my wife lived in Harrisburg Pa she met a WW2 Navy Vet at the local diner. After many months of seeing him there and talking over breakfast he opened up to her about being captured on Iwo. He said he cleared the beaches before landings and he was captured and tortured in a cave along with other Sailors and Marines. He told her that he never spoke of it before that time and asked her to never say a word about it when his daughter came with him to the diner.