nbolinger

WW1 1920s MK2 Navy Gas mask from the bottom of a box at auction

Picked this up yesterday a friend of mine got a box of ww1 helmets at a auction and and brought them over , said he got some broken gas mask also so i asked to look and this was what was in the bottom of the box, its really dry but most of its present with a extra can.

post-9905-0-55295900-1559503978.jpg

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2016.gif

Great Item. Glad you added that pic at the end. I don't think I've ever seen one. I may have to start going to auctions.

That’s really neat. Looks like something out of a science fiction movie. Thanks for posting. Mike

donation2014.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Quite an astounding find you've picked up! Are you in the market for reselling it? I know another collector who needs a filter for his Mk.II Specimen at the very least, but if you're not reselling it, I completely understand. I'd be happy to provide any additional information on the mask and its history if you'd like. I've covered the bulk of its development in this thread (Post #231): http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/233734-aef-gasmasks-respirators-1917-to-1919/page-10

Regards, Duke

“The prevailing idea seemed to be that you could go out into the market and buy them by the hundreds of thousands as you could buy Hallowe’en masks.” - Dr. William Chauncey Geer in "The Reign of Rubber"

Thanks so much for the positive comments on the mask , glad i asked to see the gas mask lol

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2016.gif