WWI ID'ed US Brodie & ORIGINAL Cloth Cover 89th DIV Officer LOT!

militaryoutfitter

militaryoutfitter

Really, really nice. My wife's grandfather was in F Company, 314th Engineers. He was wounded at St Mihiel and upon recovery was assigned to the 320th Infantry of the 80th Division. He continued to wear his F-314 Eng collar disk. I have his uniform. The captain may have been his company commander.

This guy was the company commander, yes. They most certainly would have known each other. Thanks for the input, how unlikely is that? Crazy!

militaryoutfitter

Amazing find! Will be fun to do the research. I wonder if the helmet is painted up with the unit insignia also? (although I wouldn't dare mess with the cover to find out, it would have to remain a mystery).

Troy

I wondered that too, and will never know...but since this guy painted everything...its very possible.

This guy was the company commander, yes. They most certainly would have known each other. Thanks for the input, how unlikely is that? Crazy!

I have letters from him and the 89th Division WW1 history. I'll see if there is mention of his officers in the correspondence.

36thIDAlex

What an absolutely phenomenal once in not many lifetimes grouping! Absolutely love that helmet cover. My g grandfather was with the 356 of the 89th during the war and l wounded in a gas attack a few days before the Argonne. Love seeing 89th stuff and this has got to be the best yet.

(although I wouldn't dare mess with the cover to find out, it would have to remain a mystery).

Make sure you stick to that! Might not be able to reattach it again as it is now.

milsurp_scout_14

This is one of the best groupings of any period that I've seen! I'll have to admit also, I had no idea that there were covers made for the Brodie/ M1917 helmets...were these US issue, British supplied, or simply something that was made by the troops?

the locked history storage chest burped, and thank god some one got it who will not split it

very nice , very very nice

semper fi

militaryoutfitter

Fantastic time capsule. That helmet cover is amazing.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15453883/julius-owens-sallee

Fold3 Engineer Officer Experience Reports "personal experiences" of Company F.

attachicon.gif2019-06-03_11-41-22.jpg

attachicon.gif2019-06-03_11-41-36.jpg

Thanks so much for this bit of personal narrative, I had not seen it, and it's enlightening. Much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
militaryoutfitter

HAPPY UPDATE--the same auction house found the uniform from Captain Sallee, believe it or not, in a trunk...along with the WIFE'S uniform! Too good to be true, but it is! His officer tunic and 2 matching breeches are all well used and field worn. French made, of course. No hats turned up, and I am told the house is now empty, so the hats have gone long ago, I assume. More on the wife's uniform below...

post-22296-0-00971500-1564059629.jpg

militaryoutfitter

Now...the wife (Mabel Hamilton Crawford Sallee) was in something I had never heard of EVER called the Reserve Women's Camouflage Corps...right? Bizarre! They are not in Jill Smith's books, to which I contributed, and only recently have gotten the notoriety they deserve. Drawn mostly from New York educated society, they designed and tested camo clothing, paint jobs, colors, styles, and etc. in New York City parks and on the Rockefeller estate. This woman was a 1908 Columbia University of NY graduate (BS Fine Arts Teaching) and I cannot find another example of their uniform anywhere, only in period images. Does anyone have any info on this material surviving? Made by Abercrombie and Fitch (of course) it consists of the coat and walking skirt, also working breeches (not shown). The shirt and tie are my own additions.

post-22296-0-90717500-1564060101.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
USMC-RECON0321

Great update! Very interesting on the wife's uniform and Unit. Please keep this updated on any information you hopefully find on her unit. Or did you start another thread on it?

Thanks Troy

What an incredible to near impossible thing to happen, great news to have the uniform to good with the helmet. Having his wife’s uniform is icing on the cake.

Marty

• 2 years later...
MarvinsMilitaria

wow i am a avid 89th and 35th division collector and have never seen such a nice 89th division grouping. The best part in my opinion is the cover for the helmet, that is rarely ever seen especially unit marked. I am just sitting here awe i love the holster too neat to see his unit marking inside.