WWI ID'ed US Brodie & ORIGINAL Cloth Cover 89th DIV Officer LOT!

militaryoutfitter

militaryoutfitter

I've been a dealer for more than 30 years. I thought I had seen it all, and it takes ALOT to get me anymore. Then THIS LOT came along. It turned up at a non-military estate auction, a buddy saw this stuff (advertised as WWII) and sent me pics. I called, and said "Just get it. Don't lose it no matter what!" He did his job, and when I got back home, there it was waiting for me. I have never seen a real honest-to-god US dough-boy helmet with it's original cover, but here it is. PLUS the rest of the lot, basically everything except the uniform from Captain Julius Owens Sallee, 314th Engineers, 89th Division, AEF. As if the helmet were not enough, there is a divisionally painted gasmask, and almost everything has his initials or name on it. Much of it came in the German (?) ammo box shown, which he has also painted up with the patch design...and is still full of stuff I did not photograph. PLUS...the sign (under heavy yellowed celluloid and made from pieces of crates) from his headquarters offices. I guess it still comes out of the woodwork, now and then! Sallee was from Georgia, and later rose to the rank of Colonel. I had to share this helmet, and would love to see any other US Doughboy helmets with original covers, if you have them.

post-22296-0-83186200-1559428526.jpg

militaryoutfitter

The top interior of the helmet is padded with WWI gauze. So clean, looks like officer grade wool used to make this. There were also unopened rations, a candle lantern that folds up, a super high end private purchase flashlight, and more than I can list. This guy must have had some resources, everything was the best money could buy. I wonder...is there a photo somewhere of this gentleman-engineer? I think he also worked before the war as a government Civil Service engineer surveying a Kentucky river basin, and probably had other related jobs.

militaryoutfitter

Good god...this guy even named and stencil-patched his cavalry holster inside...unit pride never fails.

post-22296-0-91143600-1559429312.jpg

militaryoutfitter

Close-up of maker info, never saw one of these before. Still had a piece of candle in the base.

post-22296-0-21711100-1559429739.jpg

WOW, outstanding group! Stonebridge lanterns are pretty common, but easily overlooked as not military looking.

Incredible! Covers in this good of condition and marked are beyond rare! I have been collecting since the mid 70's and I have not seen one like this. Then add in the rest of this fabulous grouping, provenanced no less, and you got a grand slam!

Wow.That's a great find. I've only dabbled in WW1 stuff but I've never seen a marked cover covere like that. Thanks for posting it.

Tom

Really, really nice. My wife's grandfather was in F Company, 314th Engineers. He was wounded at St Mihiel and upon recovery was assigned to the 320th Infantry of the 80th Division. He continued to wear his F-314 Eng collar disk. I have his uniform. The captain may have been his company commander.

Amazing helmet, fantastic grouping and even better history behind it!

One of my relatives served in the "Rolling W" Division in Germany post-WWII, so it's nice to see a piece from his unit

USMC-RECON0321

Amazing find! Will be fun to do the research. I wonder if the helmet is painted up with the unit insignia also? (although I wouldn't dare mess with the cover to find out, it would have to remain a mystery).

Troy